A Concert Survival Guide for Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

I like to consider myself a frequent concert-goer.

Scratch that! No, I am a well-seasoned concert enthusiast — and I am PROUD! I have been attending shows for years, so I know the ins and outs of the concert world. Today, I’m here to share my knowledge with you. Whether you’re planning on attending your first show, or you have been attending for them for years, these tips are useful for everyone.

This is your Concert Survival Guide, brought to you by me. (you’re welcome, as usual)

• Line up early if you want to be in the front, you will make so many concert friends that will end up knowing your life story by the time doors open. (and vice versa)

• If you want barricade, you are gonna have to *probably* fight for it. You will probably already be exhausted from waiting in line for hours, but you just gotta push through to get to the barricade. It will be totally worth it.

• Don’t dress to impress if you are gonna be in the pit.

• Drink water — but not too much. You don’t want to have to go to the restroom and lose your spot in the venue.

• Comfortable shoes are necessary.

• Bring a portable charger — or two depending on your phone.

• If you can, bring an extra copy of your ticket, because you never know what could go wrong.

• Film a little bit, but try to live in the moment!

• If you are front row and someone shorter than you can’t see, LET THEM IN FRONT OF YOU!

• Keep an eye out for the feet of people crowd surfing, they will kick you in the head. I speak from experience. 

• If someone falls, PICK THEM UP!

• Don’t be that person in the pit with a huge backpack on.

• Lastly, have fun and enjoy the moment!

There are a lot more things I could explain further in detail, but this is a good start for a beginner!

ROCK ON MY FRIENDS!

Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.