This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Everything is bigger in Texas and that includes the vast natural beauty found in the state. From the beautiful gulf waters of Padre Island, to the desert mountain chains of southwest Texas; the Lone Star State offers breathtaking mountain views and majestic waters to swim in during the summertime. If you live in Texas (or don’t), here’s a list of places to visit!

1. Hamilton Pool Preserve (Dripping Springs, Texas): Found 30 minutes west of Austin, this natural pool draws attention from travelers all over the state. Its beautiful green waters are a sight to be seen by any Texan. You can make a reservation (for recreational or hiking visits, not swimming due to the risk of falling rocks) to visit this place. Disclaimer: spots fill up fast during the summer!
  2. Garner State Park (Concan, Texas): This is located in the Uvalde County. For years, many Texans have flocked to this destination (especially during the notorious summer months) to cool off in the Frio Rivers, or enjoy the breathtaking views that this park has to offer. The park additionally offers 16 miles of scenic trials for hikers that vary in difficulty. You can also do RV camping if you’re not a big fan of traditional camping!
  3. Monahans Sandhills State Park (Monahan, Texas): West Texas is often ignored as many of the major cities in the state are found in central or east Texas, but that doesn’t mean that there’s nothing to do there! West Texas offers an abundance of natural beauty, and the Monahans Sandhills State Park proves it! The sand dunes in this park were formed between arid periods raging from 250,000 to 16,000 years thus giving a high elevation perfect enough to sandsurf (at the moment, rental disks for sand surfing are unavailable). If you own a horse, you can also bring it here! You can make a reservation online or calling the park.
  4. Guadalupe Mountains National Park (Salt Flat, Texas): Bordering the New Mexico state, the park has a lot to offer. From a history of Indigenous Texans to stargazing, the park has plenty to offer for visitors to learn from and do. Backpacking and hiking (experience is recommended if you plan on hiking through the Devil’s Hall) are activities that can take up majority of your day, thus giving you an opportunity to connect with nature and away from social media.
  5. Big Bend National Park (Brewster County, Texas): Bordering the Mexican border, this national park is one of the largest places in America. This park offers it all: fun activities, and a rich history to learn from. The Rio Grande runs through the park, especially on the Cañon de Santa Elena, which is a place that’s home to rich wildlife and plants. Additionally, Big Bend is considered one of the best places in the North American continent to stargaze and has the least light pollution of any national park in the lowest 48 states; this is perfect for anyone (like me) who has stargazing in their bucket list of activities to do once in their lives.

Texas is a beautiful state, and this list doesn’t do justice to the many places that one can visit in the Lone Star State!

A lover of matcha, Olivia Rodrigo, and all things surrounding astronomy. UTSA '24.