Life > Experiences

5 Castles to Add to Your Travel Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Castles are beautiful places. Whether you want to visit one because of a Disney movie, or just because they have impressive architecture, everyone should at least visit a castle once in their lives. Here’s a list of five castles you will fall in love with.

1. Neuschwanstein Castle (Bavaria, Germany): This castle is located in the southwest border of Germany. It was built in the 19th century, when castles were no longer needed. Despite this, it is a beautiful piece of architecture and the location makes this wonder more breathtaking
  2. Bran Castle (Brasov, Romania): Considered one of the most beautiful castles in the world, this place is truly majestic and most famously, the birthplace of Count Dracula. Built in the 13th century, this place is also a museum dedicated to displaying art collected by royalty.
  3. Hirosaki Castle (Hirosaki, Japan): Surrounded by cherry blossoms trees, this castle is a hirayama-style wonder that was built in the 17th century, and housed Japan’s royalty at some point. Although it is not a massive attraction like the previously mentioned, it is equally as gorgeous and fascinating. This one is definitely a must visit for me!
  4. Alnwick Castle (Northumberland, England): For the Harry Potter fans, this is a must visit as this is a fine piece of Gothic architecture. Built in the 11th century, this castle is also a museum, and has an adjascent attraction, the Alnwick Garden.
  5. Alhambra Palace (Andalusia, Spain): Built during the Islamic rule of Spain in the 14th century, this palace’s Moorish architecture is one to see with your own eyes. Its location in the rural area helps as it makes this place stand out more.
A lover of matcha, Olivia Rodrigo, and all things surrounding astronomy. UTSA '24.