This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

While most established student organizations on the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley campus spend their time planning fundraisers and philanthropy events one organization is shifting their focus toward gaining exposure on campus and providing opportunities for aspiring writers. 

Her Campus at UTRGV is the local chapter of the national organization known as Her Campus, which is an online publication written by students for students. One member of the organization described Her Campus as a diverse website with many different topics

“Her Campus is an online magazine, it’s a diverse website where you can read about multiple different topics. Anything from beauty, pop culture, guides and life hacks to book and film recommendations, news, op-eds and more” said Varesh Gorabi a three year member of Her Campus UTRGV majoring in mass communication when asked to describe the organization. 

One of the organization’s main problems has been the lack of exposure on campus, which has made it difficult for them to recruit members. The organization currently consists of a small group of four members, each of which have been part of the organization for the past three years. When asked about their goals for the organization the members all had similar goals.

“I hope for the organization to expand and grow” said Rozena Garza a three year member of Her Campus that is majoring in biology when asked about her goals for the organization. 

As a whole the members of the organization have decided on an action plan for the semester in order to gain more exposure on campus and recruit more members. The plan consists of recruitment events, using social media as a tool and spreading the word about the organization on campus. The members of Her Campus UTRGV have also decided to focus on the opportunities the organization provides especially to students who are interested in being writers one day.

“What makes Her Campus unique is that it allows members to express themselves in their articles on an online platform, where the possibilities are endless and we’d really like to focus on this aspect of the organization.” said Gorabi about the organization. 

Anyone wanting to learn more about Her Campus UTRGV is encouraged to contact hc.utrgv@hercampus.com for more information regarding the organization and how to join. 

Kennedy Castillo is a student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley majoring in communications. She is the founder of her personal brand Kennedy C Media consisting of KennedyCBlog.com, The Simply Kennedy Podcast and Kennedy Castillo Youtube Channel. She previously worked with Riddle & Bloom as an Amazon Prime Student Ambassador. She is a freelance writer with published articles in Woman2Woman Magazine, Glue Magazine, Lune Magazine, Vinazine and Her Culture Magazine. She is the current Campus Correspondent and President of the UTRGV Her Campus Chapter and previously worked as a Her Campus Chapter Advisor, Her Campus Chapter Expansion Intern and Her Campus High School Ambassador Program Advisor.