etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

James McAvoy, Bill Hader in Talks to Join Jessica Chastain in ‘It: Chapter 2’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

With “It: Chapter 2” set to begin filming this July in Toronto, casting on the horror sequel is underway.

Per The Hollywood Reporter, James McAvoy and Bill Hader are in talks to join the second installment of New Line’s adaptation of Stephen King’s “It.” The site also notes that Jessica Chastain, who was previously in talks, is officially on board the highly-anticipated sequel.

Since the release of the first installment, Hader has been a fan-casting favorite for the role of Richie Tozier, the loudmouth, comedy-loving member of the Losers Club. The role was originated by Finn Wolfhard (“Stranger Things”) in the first pic. McAvoy, meanwhile, is in talks to play the adult Bill Denbrough, the leader of the Losers. Jaeden Lieberher (“St. Vincent,” “Midnight Special”) played the young, stuttering Bill in the first installment who rallies his friends to defeat the demonic shapeshifting clown Pennywise (Bill Skarsgard). Chastain is playing Beverly Marsh, the club’s only female member, first played by Sophia Lillis.

There’s one word to describe this casting: perfect. Chastain, a two-time Oscar nominee, is one of most versatile actors working today. Plus, Chastain has a history of working with “It” director Andy Muschietti and producer Barbara Muschietti, previously starring in their 2013 horror film “Mama.” She also worked with McAvoy and Hader on “The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby” (2014). McAvoy is no stranger to playing fearless leaders; the 38-year-old actor has played the heart and soul of the X-Men, Professor Charles Xavier, since 2011’s “X-Men: First Class.” Hader, of course, is best known for his work on “Saturday Night Live,” making him an excellent choice to play Richie. He’s also shown dramatic range in films like “The Skeleton Twins” (2014).

“Chapter 2” will pick up 27 years after the events of the first installment, when the Losers return to Derry, Maine as adults to vanquish the supernatural evil once and for all.

Image credit: Zimbio

“It: Chapter 2” hits theaters on Sept. 6, 2019.

UTRGV Class of 2018  Mass Comm Major Mexican-American Studies Minor