You Don’t Have to Know Your Big/Little Before Reveal to Have a Connection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

It’s Big/Little season, and you’re stressing because you want the perfect Little. You’re worried because your rush crush went to a different house and you haven’t quite connected with any of the new girls yet. Don’t stress just yet; I have good news for you! You don’t HAVE to know your Little beforehand to have a good connection with her.

I can remember when I was a new member in ZTA. I was so excited and nervous to get my Big! When I turned around at reveal, I did not recognize the face I saw. However, that turned out to be one of the biggest blessings I received in ZTA. Instead of thinking negatively about it because I didn’t already know her, I took that as the opportunity to get to know her, and she did the same. I can now say that she is one of my best friends, and I am honestly so thankful to have met her. I know that no matter what, she will always be there for me.

My sophomore year, I took my second Little. I didn’t really know any of the girls, and when it was time for me to get my new Little, I had not met her yet. However, I kept an open mind and got to know her by spending time with her, and we soon became close. This just goes to show that even if you don’t know your Big or Little when reveal rolls around, you can still become great friends.

I know what you’re thinking, though. It’s hard to make the most of getting a Little when the one girl you wanted who you really connected with got someone else as a Big. I see this situation happen over and over every time Big/Little reveal approaches. This is why it is best to keep an open mind. Even if the girl you thought would be your Little winds up being someone else’s, you can still be friends with her. Just because you are not in the same family doesn’t mean you are forbidden to hang out with each other. If that was the case, sisterhood would not be very strong.

I am now a senior and have taken three Littles of my own. I love them all equally, even though I met them all under different circumstances. Each time, I went into it with an open mind. I gave each of my Littles the same opportunity for us to get to know each other even better after the reveal. For me, that made the whole experience go smoothly, and it worked out better for everyone that way.

My advice to those of you that are soon to be Bigs or Littles is to make the most of it. Whether you know exactly who you want from the beginning or not, don’t get discouraged. If you don’t get the girl you wanted as your Big or Little, use that as the opportunity to make a new connection. Go out to eat together or watch movies. Any chance to get to know your new Big or Little will be worth it. You can become closer than you ever knew. Yes, it may be discouraging at first when you don’t get exactly who you thought you might. That doesn’t mean you should keep from reaching out. Your new Little could be your new best friend. If you never give her a chance, you could be missing out. You won’t regret taking the time to get to know them.

Photo courtesy of me.

I'm a senior Ag Communications major and Zeta Tau Alpha sister. I love coffee, my family and dogs.