timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Their Success Doesn’t Threaten Yours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

It’s easy to become jealous of and resent the success of others. In a world where everyone posts their “good side” for the world to see while you struggle with your “bad side” it is easy to feel like you can’t compare. It’s easy to wish the worst for them, especially if they aren’t your favorite people. 

You can compare your entire story to their (personally chosen) cliff notes. You can try to compete with their seemingly perfect life. You can even hope they fail. You can make those choices, but they aren’t going to change your life’s trajectory. Instead, you can be happy for them. You can ask them how they got where they are. You can put your faith in God and yourself to get you where you need to be. You can choose to understand that you are on your own path, and the speed at which you travel is independent of those around you. 

Comparing yourself to others will only hurt YOU. Resentment and hate take up space in your mind and your heart that could be used for bigger and better things. The bad you wish for others won’t hurt them, but it will consume you. Take that energy and put it to good use. Remind yourself of all the great things you have and will accomplish. Remind yourself to take a breath, then keep moving. 

The success of others isn’t a barrier to your success. Yes, it can be a motivator, but it isn’t a barrier. The only barriers to your success are in your control, so let go of the bad and hold onto the good. Keep moving forward. Your success is right there for the taking, so go forth and get it. 

I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.