danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

For the Student Who Doesn’t Have a Particular Job Title in Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

A few weeks ago I had someone ask me what my major was. I told the person that I am majoring in Agriculture Communications with a minor in English. Their response was and what do you plan on doing with that? I simply answered that I was not entirely sure yet and they said back in the rudest of voices, “Well that is something I would get to figuring out!”

I understand that I am going to college to better prepare myself for a specific career one day based off of my choice of major; however, that does not mean that I have to know the exact job title at a particular business that I am striving towards. It also does not mean that you can be rude and mean to someone who does not have a job entirely figured out yet.

College is a time to explore, learn, and just simply figure out what you enjoy, what you are passionate about, and would like to do with the rest of your life. If you are like me, you have changed majors a few times trying to figure this out, which is okay no matter what anyone else says! I finally ended up in Agriculture Communications and English and for once since I have been at college, I actually enjoy and am passionate about all of the things I am learning. Is that not what is important? If you do not enjoy or are not passionate about what you are doing then there is no point in doing it for the rest of your life, let alone pay thousands of dollars to go to school for it.

If you know the exact job title you want to obtain at a particular business, that is great and wonderful and I personally am excited for you. For the most of us though, it is totally okay that we do not have every single detail figured out yet.

One of the best parts about my major and minor is that there are endless job opportunities that come along with them. I won’t ever be stuck to one specific thing or area. There are so many different areas in agriculture to focus on such as livestock, crops, fisheries and forestry. There are endless categories in communications like writing, broadcasting on television and radio, marketing, public relations, and more. English is a personal interest of mine and I think it will really help me down the road with writing.

So when someone asks you the typical “What is your major and what do you plan on doing with it?” question, do not be upset or discouraged when your answer is not certain. And for the people asking the question, being mean, rude, and discouraging, stop doing that! College is hard enough. Students do not need any more negativity in their lives!

I am an Agriculture Communications Major with a Minor in English at the University of Tennessee at Martin (Class of 2021).
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.