This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

In the midst of the rainy Sunday evenings, the holiday movies playing back-to-back on the Hallmark channel and the fuzzy blanket draped over your feet, the need for a significant other is quickly creeping in. November and December, what a time to be alive. These two months are when relationships are beginning to thrive. Everybody wants somebody to take home during the holidays. Stuffing your face full of mashed potatoes and turkey, going ice skating and taking a picture in front of the tree and captioning it on Instagram as “Santa got me just what I wanted for Christmas this year! *heart eye* *Santa Claus* *Christmas tree*” just doesn’t feel the same without a boo.

Now you’re close to texting Chad from Alpha Apple Pie knowing he’s not a good fella to take home to mom and dad. “But he brought me La Cabana when I was on my deathbed two weeks ago.” Okay? Chad also went with Lisa to her New Member Social. Should we really be wishing for a guy this season that is never going to settle down, just so we aren’t lonely for the holidays?

Girlies, wake up and realize that this cold weather is not an excuse to settle for someone. Face Thanksgiving with pride and confidence, and happily tell Aunt Becky that yes, you are still single, and no, you and Bob are not getting back together no matter how cute she thought you two looked. When your grandmother asks if you’re happy being single, tell her, “Grammy, I am living my best life, and taking care of myself.” When Uncle Jim asks, “Can you ever keep a guy around?” simply reply, “Not until I find someone crazy enough to deal with this family.”

Girl, you are worth so much more than a little three-month holiday romance. Do not let your family tell you otherwise! You’re not settling and, if anything, they will be proud of you for that.

Instead of spending your break with Mr. Okay, spend it taking care of yourself. Spend it reminiscing on 2018 and all the beautiful things it has taught you. The lessons, the laughs and the love. Fill your heart full of candy canes, fuzzy socks and hot cocoa this year. Do not feel pressured to be in a relationship just because everyone around you is. Before you decide, ask yourself, “Do I want temporary or do I want stability?” Do not go looking for love this Christmas, look for yourself. Embrace this stage of your life. Do not get struck with the holidaze fever, because when you get back on campus, your sweet little heart will be dreaming of Spring Break, and I promise, you will be so thankful you aren’t mourning a short, holiday cuffship.

If you're looking for this girl, she's more than likely somewhere pushing a pull door. Courtney is from a small town in Tennessee. She is currently attending UTM with a major in Education. She's a coffee enthusiast, a dog lover, and likes to spend her free time with her mom. She's obsessed with her boyfriend Marshall and her main goal in life is to always be happy.
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.