One Piece of Advice for Each Year I’ve Been in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

I host a radio show where I interview students, staff and faculty about things going on around campus. I’m working on a series in which I interview one member of each classification. I asked them what advice they’d offer freshman. Even though no one asked me, I have some advice to offer.

1.  Find a balance among work, school and social life. Giving yourself fully to class isn’t a good thing because you need time to relax. Giving yourself fully to work isn’t a good thing because you need to study. Giving yourself fully to your social life isn’t good because you need to make money and good grades. It’s a lot of give and take. Find a way to balance the three main areas of your life.
  2. Do things to build your resume. I’ve found myself staying in organizations that I really had to work to fit into my schedule because it would look good on my resume. I’m not saying that everything you need to do is for your resume, but it gives me an excuse to not be lazy. If you see a volunteer opportunity, take it. If there’s a chance to get involved outside of class, do it.

My professors always help me recognize activities that are good for my resume; however, sometimes I find things on my own.

1. Set aside time for your health. If you’re sick, set aside time to get better. If that means you have to nap, that’s okay. If you need to go to the doctor, make that time. See those specialists if there’s some problem. I don’t miss class when I’m sick in general, but that’s only with the understanding that I may be saving those days for some other time. I have a specialist appointment coming up, and I’ve already planned to have that day off.

On a regular basis, I set aside time for working out and eating healthy. That means I wake up early enough to pack my lunch with something that’s healthy. I go to the gym after my classes. That time is vital for my health. It helps me get out all of my excess energy and maintain my weight.

I am a sophomore broadcast communications major and theatre minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. When I’m not in class or participating in events on campus, I spend my time reading, doing yoga, working out, or petting my cats.
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.