This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Many students on UTM’s campus go home pretty much every weekend, so the holidays just seem like any other old weekend. When you go home for the weekend every weekend, it takes away from the special times you have when you come home. I believe that when you become a college student, it’s a very large adjustment period for you as well as your parents, but it makes you both realize you’re growing up.

I’m one of the few that have not been home since June. Yes, I only live two hours away, but I enjoy my time in Martin, so when I go home it’s a special time for me as well as my family. Our first really long break since summer is coming up, so I will be headed to Scotts Hill for about a week. Thanksgiving is a special time for my family and I because it’s the first time they will be seeing me in roughly six months. I believe that me becoming my own person away from home makes the time spent back in my hometown much more special.

I understand that some of us have younger siblings that we don’t want to spent lots of time away from. I’m one of those people too, you know. I have a little brother that is seven. I know he doesn’t like it when his sissy is gone for long periods of time, but when I come home, he is super excited to see me. The excitement in his eyes makes the holidays even more special.

If you’ve been going home every weekend, and it’s almost like you haven’t gone away or grown up at all, take a little time and spend a few weekends in Martin, and wait to go home for the holidays. Your family and friends will start to realize how much you’ve grown up, and you may just realize you are becoming an adult.

Cheyenne Johnson is a sophomore at the University of Tennessee at Martin and she is currently studying Agricultural Communications. Cheyenne comes to Martin from the small town of Scotts Hill that is located in West TN. She discovered she loved Martin once she had the chance to participate in the Tennessee Governors School of the Agricultural Sciences She is a sister of Sigma Alpha and is serving as the chapter Secretary. She is also a part of collegiate FFA as well as other organizations on campus. She is extremely excited to start this new journey with Her Campus at UTM.