Five Things to Prepare to Hear When You Get a Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Thinking about getting a tattoo? That’s great! I love them and think they are one of the greatest ways to express yourself. Before you get inked, I’d like to prepare you for some of the things you will probably hear for the rest of your life after that needle hits your arm.

1. “Is that a tattoo? Can I see it?”

Of course people are going to ask about your tattoo, but what’s even better is people forget about personal space when they see one on a person’s body. They will grab your arm, your shoulders or even just touch it because it peeks their curiosity.

2. “Where’d you get it?”

Now, this is a normal question but it does become tiresome to answer after you keep getting asked. Especially if you have multiple tattoos from different places.

3. “Did It Hurt?”

This is always a fun one to answer because no, having a needle repeatedly go into your arm did not hurt at all. Depending on where you get your tattoo the pain differs everywhere, but there will always be a discomfort when being tattooed. (P.S. it’s true the pain is addicting).

4. “What does it mean?”

This one might be my favorite question because, although people ask, they don’t usually care. I have two The Lord of the Rings tattoos, and I love them, but when people ask me what they mean or why I got them, I usually don’t have an answer other than “I just love the LOTR.” People get tattoos for all kinds of reasons: it represents a lost loved one, it’s something that means a lot to them or they wanted a random tattoo just because. Any of these reasons are valid, and if you don’t care about the person’s reason/lack there of, then don’t ask the question.

5. “I could never get something so permanent on my body”

All I think when someone says this to me is, “Well good thing it’s my tattoo on my body.” People who have tattoos understand that it’s permanent and we understand it’s not for everyone. Tattoos are usually well thought out because we know they will be there forever. Even if people get one for the hell of it, it’s usually one that you know you’ll find funny or you’ll like for a very long time.

If you are planning on getting a tattoo, be prepared to hear all of these things and know that it is your body and your decision. If you want a lion tattoo to remind you of your fierceness, then get it! If you want that one movie quote because you’ve said it all your life, do it! And do you want that random shark tattoo for no reason, but you know you’ll love it? Get. That. Tattoo. To me, tattoos are a means to express yourself and every one that I have, or will get, is just a different piece of me. It doesn’t matter if people don’t understand it, because it’s on your body and means something to you.

Hailey is a Communication major with a minor in Spanish at the University of Tennessee at Martin. She is the current Sweetheart for Sigma Chi Kappa Psi. She loves cooking, reading, and becoming weirdly obsessed with TV series. 
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.