nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Being Content with Where You Are

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Not focusing on the present is something I really struggle with at times. I worry and get stressed out about what is going to happen next, rather than focusing on what is happening now. I’ll catch myself stressing over what classes I’m going to take next semester, or what job I’m going to have after college or even where I’m going to live after I graduate. The list can go on and on.

While these are all things that require some planning and thought, there isn’t any use in worrying about them all the time. It takes a toll on you mentally and physically and there isn’t any benefit from it.

Ever since I got to high school, I was so excited about the idea of going to college. I loved the idea of getting to live in the dorms, meeting my new best friends, finding the one, getting involved and learning about things I actually want to do in my life.

Now, here I am in that part of my life that I have been waiting for and I feel as if I’m too busy concerned with the next chapter of my life. The next chapter seems so exciting and overwhelming. It for sure needs some thought and preparation, but there isn’t any use stressing out about it right now. It won’t do any good and it takes away from the happiness you can have right now.

This is something I have decided to work on with myself and I’m sure there are others out there, too that need to change their focus regarding this. Be content with where you are. Find the joy that you once had about this chapter of your life that has gone away. Yes, the future always seems more exciting than the present, but you don’t want to look back and realize you wasted your time now. Find joy in the little things in life and never take it for granted.

Each day is a gift and we don’t get a single one back. So why waste it worrying about tomorrow?

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own” (Matthew 6:34).

I am an Agriculture Communications Major with a Minor in English at the University of Tennessee at Martin (Class of 2021).
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.