4 Reasons Why You Should Give Pit Bulls a Chance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

I’m a firm believer that pit bulls should not be judged based on how people have raised them poorly and how people have used them for dog fighting. I have always have had a big interest in pits and the way in which people discriminate against them when they see a pit bull walking down the street with their owner. Some even turn to go a different way because of the dog. However, I am here to give you four reasons why you should own a pit bull, or at least give them a chance.

1. Pit bulls have the most infectious smile around.

If you see a pit bull online or in person, most of the time they will have the biggest smile on their face. Every time that I’m home for breaks, I get to see my dog, Diamond. She’s a Blue Nose Pit, and she always has the biggest smile on her face. Pit bulls can be such happy dogs and not the monsters people portray them to be.

2. If you raise them right, they will be good dogs.

Dogs are like kids. If you don’t raise your child right, then they will not be a good kid. The same thing goes for pit bulls. Some people say that pit bulls are inherently aggressive and bad, but they aren’t. If they are not raised aggressively, then they will not be aggressive. Just because pit bulls have gotten a bad reputation for being used in dog fighting, it does not mean they are going to be like that if they’ve never participated in a dog fight. In fact, even dogs used in dog fights can be changed. The pit bulls that were used in the Michael Vick case have been rehabilitated and have found their forever homes.

3. Pit bulls have an interesting history.

During World War I, pit bulls were considered the closest thing to being the national dog breed of America. They were used for WWI propaganda. The first decorated dog in the military was a pit, and his name was Sgt. Stubby. He served 18 months in the military, and during that time, he saved his team from a mustard gas attack. He even caught a German soldier and waited until an American soldier came and found him. Pit bulls haven’t always been treated like they are treated today.

4. They are the best cuddle buddies.

The one thing that I look forward to when I go home for breaks is getting to see my dog. Every time I go home, she gets so excited to see me which is one of the best feelings. When I’m home, Diamond is pretty much attached to my hip. Diamond believes that she is a 10-pound dog when she is most definitely not. She does keep me warm when she sleeps with me, though,  even though she hogs my blankets.  

There are many more reasons to give pit bulls a chance, but these are a few that have resonated with me. Next time you see a pit bull, just think about all of these reasons and how great they can be. They may surprise you with their gentleness.

Photo courtesy of Pexels.

I am a senior at UTM, I am majoring in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Law Enforcement. I am in Alpha Delta Pi, I am the President of the Criminal Justice Society at UTM. I love anything that has to do with cats and cacti.I am a proud cat mom, my cat's name is Kiwi. And I am a lifeguard at Magic Waters Waterpark in Rockford IL.