How to Survive the Winter Gloom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tennessee chapter.

Now that our Christmas wish lists (and our spirit) have come and gone, and all our New Years Eve plans have been executed, most of us find ourselves in a state of “winter gloom”, as I refer to it. It lasts from about January 2 until the first sunny, warm, ‘I don’t mind walking to class anymore and I can finally bring out my dusty Rainbow flip flops again’ day. Some lucky few are completely unaffected by the grey winter days and somewhat dreary glaze over the sky, but others’ moods drastically change. These symptoms include becoming distant and despondent and not having the energy or drive to do anything but sit on the couch, eat some sort of Ben and Jerry’s and watch Lifetime Movie Marathons (I’m a member of the latter).

In a USA Today College article, Elizabeth Wall identifies why college students may fall even further into the gloom than others: we have the added stress of a new workload, roommates can push our buttons to extremes, and we are always facing the ever popular yet somewhat dooming “What are your plans after graduation?” question. We all know that with winter comes the promise of spring; although sometimes I’m convinced that spring isn’t coming that year when March is still unbearable, but the best bet is to pick ourselves up by our furry Uggs and make the best out of our winter months.

Shine Your Light: One of the oldest theories for how to make yourself feel better when you’re feeling ‘the gloom’ is to get in front of a light! Tanning beds are not necessarily suggested by professionals, but just having any sort of light will make your day better. If it’s one of those beautiful sunny winter days, take a quick walk outside or even sit in front of a light. Instead of moping in a dark apartment, turn on your lights and let it feel like daytime. This has been proven to help you sleep better at night because it cures your sleepiness during the day.

Winter Doesn’t Equal Hibernation:  As wonderful as the idea of lazily lounging around all day on your worn-in, cozy couch sounds, try to fight the urge. Getting out (and class doesn’t exactly count) will dramatically improve your outlook on the winter. Take a trip to the mall, Puppy Zone or even Walgreens during the day and save the reclining for the night. 

Make a Plan: Spring is a time of new inspiration and newfound drive, so put that to good use. Use wintertime to start making spring plans, picking up a few new hobbies, or start applying for those internships or jobs you’ve been dreaming of. Making a plan and sticking to it, or crossing something off your list, is one of the best feelings there is, so that’s bound to make you bounce out of the winter gloom.

Take the Winter for What It Is: One of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever heard regarding the winter was embrace it. It only comes once a year after all. Ice skating, trendy scarves and boots are great things I’ve learned to embrace about the winter. You could also take a trip to Gatlinburg one weekend with your friends and try skiing on the ever-famous Ober Gatlinburg slopes. And don’t forget that Mardi Gras takes place in February, so if you’re feeling courageous enough, then take that 11 hour drive down to the Big Easy and make the most of your winter.