How to Deal: Living with your parents over break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tennessee chapter.

So, fall semester is coming to an end. Many of you (and me) are headed back home within the next week to stay with your families. While some of you in the dorms are forced to leave campus, others choose to visit with family and friends from back home. In either case, I’m sure everyone is looking forward to it. Now, I’m not saying I don’t love spending time with my family, because I do. But going from living on your own to going back to a house full of chores to do and errands to run is not always the most fun thing. After a week or two of enjoying some quality time with my family I get that ‘I want to go back to Knoxville’ feeling. Maybe it’s just me growing up or my family driving me mad, but, in either case, I’m going to give you some tips on how to stay sane while living with your family over Christmas break.

My first tip is to try to divide your time evenly. Spending too much time with family can get annoying, but not spending enough time can also lead to regret and conflict. There is a way to have the best of both worlds. Spending a few hours a day with your family is usually good enough. My family really enjoys having dinner together, so making the effort to be around during dinner is a nice gesture. There is enough time in the day to hang out with your family AND friends, as well as doing other things throughout the day.

My second tip would be getting a seasonal job. Many of you already have jobs over the holidays, but for those of you who don’t, this is a great idea. You can make some extra cash for school while getting out of the house. That way, your parents can’t pile on the chores or tell you that you’re being lazy and unproductive. Check your local mall for job opportunities. Most stores are happy to have some extra holiday help.

Lastly, make sure you clearly communicate with your family. Though you may not always agree on things, letting your opinion be known without fighting about it is a much healthier way to go about conversation. By talking and listening, you should be able to make it through the break stress free. Your parents will see it as a sign of maturity and will be much more likely to let you do what you are asking to do.

With all that being said, I hope this eases the tensions that can come with living with your family again. Happy Holidays to everyone!