This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

I consider myself lucky that I have been blessed with great parents. I was the kid who never understood how another kid could hate their parents. I guess that can be attributed to the fact that my Mom and Dad have always told me that it is okay to be different, and to take my own road; they have encouraged me to be myself in every situation.

Though they are not together, both my Mom and Dad worked hard to ensure that my life was as similar to other kids’ lives as possible. Both my Mom and Dad have moved on, which allows me to not only have their guidance, but also the advice of step-parents. This reflects badly on a lot of children, however this was not the case for me. Many children with separated families grow up in a home resenting ever being there. I’m so happy this didn’t happen to me.  I didn’t grow up listening to the constant bashing of the other parent. Both of my parents were involved in decisions regarding me, and I didn’t ever have to worry about my parents not communicating, or at least not when I was listening. Both parents made sure that my sister and I were taken care of in both houses, that we got to see our other siblings in both houses, and they ensure that we always had what we needed.

My Dad always enforced the idea that the only way to get anywhere in life is through hard work. When I was younger, I used to think my dad only lectured me because it was fun for him, and because he liked to have the authority, but looking back, I have found that my Dad had my best interest at heart. He knew he wanted me to have a bright future, and without dad’s constant nagging I probably would not be where I am today. I look at my younger sisters who probably are feeling the same way I felt when I was younger right now, and I hope they come to the same conclusion I did. However, I hope they also take their own paths to understand Dad’s logic.  

My mom always taught me that I can do anything I put my mind to, and that when in doubt, I will always be able to call upon her for help. She has the purest heart, which taught me that it is okay to show your feelings, and that sometimes things don’t work out as planned. Dad always told us Mom was too easy on us, but she serves the perfect balance in my life. She knew Dad would give us the lectures about grades and decisions, so she gave us the reminder that it is normal to make a mistake once in a while.

Each day I find more of both my Mom and Dad in myself and I am finding that they have helped  me realize sometimes you have to be the person who chooses to be different. I am so incredibly thankful that they have always been there for me, and continue to be. So, on that note, thank you Mom and Dad for being two people I can always count on, for making sure that I always have two loving and supporting families backing me up, and for teaching me so much. I know you two will always be there for me, whether it be for a good laugh, a serious conversation, or a comforting hug, you both inspire me to be the best version of myself. I love you always.

XOXO,

Amber

Hi! I'm Amber, a freshman from Utica College majoring in Accounting (and hopefully marketing), I'll do my best to write about interesting things! My hobbies consist of shopping, watching Netflix, and hanging out with family and friends.