jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

Having a self- care day is very important. Self care is something that is necessary for people to do to promote some type of inner-self happiness. It is not something that should be ignored or pushed to the side. If you have not given much thought about yourself, this is the perfect time to sit back and evaluate what you have done this week to promote self care and take some time for yourself. Self care comes in many different forms. There is physical health care where you perform more moving such as swimming, dancing, eating healthy, exercising, and getting enough sleep. Then there’s psychological self care, and this one is more about self reflecting, not necessarily physical. Emotional self care is my favorite, it deals with finding ways to love yourself, be surrounded by people who genuinely are there for you, praising yourself, and even allowing yourself to cry. Spiritual self care is another way to reflect on yourself, finding ways to stay inspired, and be open to the ideas of not knowing. Last but not least, we all need a balance.

If you’re interested in how to promote your self care, here’s a couple of things to look at and ask yourself how often are you performing them. If not often, then you definitely should!

Physical Self-Care

1. Am I exercising?

2. Am I taking time off when needed?

3. When was the last time I went on a real vacation?

4. Am I doing enough physical activities I like ; Singing, Dancing, playing sports, running etc.?

Psychological Self care

1. Am I writing in a journal/ letting my feelings out somewhere?

2. Read literature

3. Decrease stress in your life

4. Are you having your own type of personal psychotherapy?

5. Saying “no” to certain things that make you feel uncomfortable

6. Listening to your own thoughts, beliefs, or judgments

Emotional Self- Care

1. Allow yourself to cry

2. Spend time with others whose company you enjoy

3. LOVE YOURSELF

4. Find things that make you laugh

5. Stay in contact with important people in your life

Spiritual Self Care

1. Be open to inspiration

2. Cherish your optimism and hopes

3. Spend time with nature

4. Make time for reflections

Typical Dominican from NYC who loves loud music, fried cheese, and tacos
Meet Bianca, I am currently a Junior at Utica College in Utica, NY.  I am a Criminal Justice major with a concentration in Homeland Security.  Crime investigation has always been something that interests me.  I’m dedicated and passionate and it’s hard for me to quit things. I get that from my father so don’t hold it against me- he was a veteran and police officer for 20 years.   Growing up in a family centered around law enforcement has helped guide me in this direction, and I will forever be grateful.  After graduation I intend to continue on to law school where I can further my education in hopes of becoming a criminal defense lawyer and later on a District Attorney.  An interesting fact about myself is that I found the passion to be a criminal defense lawyer from watching the O.J. Simpson case.  The facts and conspiracy theories evoked a whole new passion behind criminal investigation that I intend to use in my future.  One of my most prominent moments in my writing career was when I wrote for an online magazine and had my most prevalent article hit 1.6k shares.  I believe in treating people with the same kind of respect and manners you would expect in return, and in a way it has helped shaped my expectations in life.   When you first meet me I won’t be the loudest in the room or the center of attention, but I will be intently listening to everything you say, for what you have to say may have a purpose. I believe in purpose. I believe that everyone is here to help you grow into who you are today and who you will be tomorrow.