This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

Everyone wants clear, glowing skin, but it’s hard to get that because of the cold weather. I’ll be honest, I do not have really bad acne, but I do break out here and there. I also get really dry skin because of the weather outside.

To help with this, you will need to stay hydrated! Drink plenty of water. It will do wonders for your skin. I also wash my face every morning and night. No more than twice a day, because that will really dry out your skin even more. Sometimes you need those natural oils. I use Biore Don’t Be Dirty Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser in the morning and Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Pure-Castile Liquid soap at night for a deeper cleanse. You could find either one of these at Ulta or a drug store.

Sometimes when I am done washing my face, I’ll put on a facemask. Any type of hydrating face mask will work, just to put that moisture back into your skin. I love sheet masks. I think they work the best for me and I am lazy once it comes to later in the day, so I love that I don’t have to get up and wash my face after.  

After every time I wash my face I use witch hazel. I swear by witch hazel. It smells good, evens your skin tone, and helps fight acne. I use Thayers Witch Hazel Alcohol Free Toner, personally the rose petal scent is my favorite. I just use a cotton pad and wipe it all over my face and neck. I have seen a huge difference in my skin ever since I started using witch hazel. You can find this product at Target.

When I am done with these steps, I ALWAYS moisturize my face. I don’t care if I am breaking out at the moment. Moisturizing your face is so important. Especially if you do not want to have really bad wrinkles when you’re older. I use kind of a thick moisturizer in the morning, but my skin soaks it right up, so it doesn’t leave my face looking oily. The Ultra Repair Cream Intense Moisturizer leaves my face feeling so smooth. I can feel it helping the dry patches on my face. You can find this at Sephora or Ulta.

I’ll also put 100% Aloe Vera on my face for a couple of minutes too before I go to bed. Not often though, maybe two to three times a week. It’s a natural moisturizer. I am working on buying an Aloe Vera plant, so I don’t have to go out and keep buying tubs of it.

If I have a pimple coming in, I will do a spot treatment. I use the Clean and Clear 4 hour spot treatment or sometimes I’ll just do a tab of mint toothpaste and sleep with it on my face. You want to be careful just to put it on the pimple, not anywhere else because it will dry your face right up.

I really hope you can take some of my skincare tips and use it for yourself. Remember that not everyone’s skin is the same, so some of the things I do may only work for me, but you’ll never know unless you try!

My name is Josie Sgarlata. I am a Junior at Utica College and I am on the Field Hockey team. My major is Public Relations!
Meet Bianca, I am currently a Junior at Utica College in Utica, NY.  I am a Criminal Justice major with a concentration in Homeland Security.  Crime investigation has always been something that interests me.  I’m dedicated and passionate and it’s hard for me to quit things. I get that from my father so don’t hold it against me- he was a veteran and police officer for 20 years.   Growing up in a family centered around law enforcement has helped guide me in this direction, and I will forever be grateful.  After graduation I intend to continue on to law school where I can further my education in hopes of becoming a criminal defense lawyer and later on a District Attorney.  An interesting fact about myself is that I found the passion to be a criminal defense lawyer from watching the O.J. Simpson case.  The facts and conspiracy theories evoked a whole new passion behind criminal investigation that I intend to use in my future.  One of my most prominent moments in my writing career was when I wrote for an online magazine and had my most prevalent article hit 1.6k shares.  I believe in treating people with the same kind of respect and manners you would expect in return, and in a way it has helped shaped my expectations in life.   When you first meet me I won’t be the loudest in the room or the center of attention, but I will be intently listening to everything you say, for what you have to say may have a purpose. I believe in purpose. I believe that everyone is here to help you grow into who you are today and who you will be tomorrow.