freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

4 Unexpected Signs He Really Cares About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

There are hundreds or even thousands of articles out there on the Internet about signs and cues that a guy is truly in love with you. They can range from sweet words, appropriate courtesy, getting jealous when you’re with a guy, or how he remembers the small details in your life. A genuine and amazing love will, of course, include multiple layers and actions which indicate one person really cares about his/her significant other.

Among many different signs and actions, there are some that can be very confusing, misunderstanding, and sometimes they even rub you in the wrong way. They kinda lie in the middle of the border line between signals that show he is in love with you and signs he is over possessive and manipulative.

1. He’s honest

He isn’t afraid to voice his opinions and thoughts. He wants the best for you so he doesn’t shy away from pointing out the flaws and dangers that your actions can bring to you. He risks the chance of you coming to hate him due to his bluntness but ultimately, he wants the best for you. He wants for you to face the reality better so he doesn’t sugar-coat his words. A good boyfriend will never stay silent and wait until his partner gets hurt before giving her advice. A good boyfriend will try to anticipate what will negatively affect his girlfriend and look out for her before the danger even comes close. He will not be discouraged by the thought that if he speaks the brutal truth, his girlfriend will get mad at him. He will always try his best to be transparent and honest to his partner.

2. He constantly asks questions to seriously get to know you

Basically, he makes you contemplate and seek answers within your value and soul. He genuinely wants to understand you and how your mind works. Sometimes, excessive questions one after another make you feel as if he is interrogating you and trying to find faults in your reasons. However, the truth is he is just going out of his way to have a clearer picture of who his girlfriend really is. He prefers deep and meaningful conversations that after talking to you, he can feel like he has comprehended another piece of your mind and soul.

3. He is your life coach

In addition to paying close attention to you, if he thinks he can help you, sometimes he suggests a better and faster way for you to do things. The key word here is “suggest”, not “order”. There is a huge difference between being “protective” and “oppressive”. He wants to grow together with you and help you to be prepared for the world. But at the same time, he doesn’t want to make you follow whatever he tells you to do. He’ll point out what doesn’t make sense to him, ask you to explain it (he’s trying to know how your mind works!), and give you his opinions and why he’s concerned. I have to admit, sometimes the way my boyfriend does this ticks me off because he keeps nagging and telling me to be more aware of my surroundings. In the end, I realize that he wants the best for me. If not, he wouldn’t be trying so hard to get his point across and help me be a better a person.

4. He never gives up

No matter how much you fight, no matter how much your opinions differ from each other, no matter how many times he has to explain and express his honesty, he will do the exact same thing tomorrow. He doesn’t use those things as excuses to abandon you and find another easier love. Love isn’t supposed to be easy. If he truly loves you, he’ll stick with you and never give up on you, regardless of the difficulty. He looks for a long-term happiness, even if both of you have to go through painful experiences at the moment to grow together. He doesn’t jump to another girl when things get difficult. He knows that he’ll lose you in the process and that you guys could have had a strong and healthy relationship.

Love comes in many shapes and forms. If your SO exhibits any of the signs above, don’t jump into conclusions quite yet. Sit back, analyze, or even ask for what his intentions are. Who knows, maybe the annoying things you thought were the signs of him not being the one are actually what shows you how much he cares about you.

I’m a sophomore at Utica College. My major is Health Studies-PT Track, minor in Gerontology. I enjoy cool breeze, beaches, and good books. I have a long list of things I like and a longer list of things I don't like.