Life > Academics

Thriving Together: The formation of NSBWM UTD and the Empowering story of Black Women in Medicine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTD chapter.

Ideas are seedlings that eventually turn into trees of a movement . Such was the case for Amber
Balkcom and Ashlei Philips as they kindled the idea of creating a community where minority women in
medicine and scientific disciplines are better represented. Thus, leading to the foundation of The
National Society of Black Women in Medicine on October 14,2017 on the campus of Florida State
University.

The same spark holds true for Ayomide Olukosi, Ajaree Ayomide Olukosi, Ajaree Massaquoi,
and Chelsea Edosomwan the founders of the National Society of Black Women in Medicine (NSBWM)
UTD chapter. Sharing a common passion for medicine and commitment to creating a supportive
community for women in the field; each of them have a special story to share which is both inspirational
and empowering

Ayomide Olukosi: A Call to Serve

For Ayomide Olukosi, the journey into medicine began with a deeply rooted inspiration from her
mother’s unwavering dedication to healthcare in Nigeria. Witnessing the struggles faced by healthcare
workers and the deficiencies in the healthcare system fueled Ayomide’s determination to contribute to
the field. Her faith in God provided the strength to overcome doubts and imposter syndrome, propelling
her towards a focus on studying neurodivergent disorders.
Moving to a new country exposed Ayomide to the lack of resources and support for aspiring medical
professionals. Motivated by the need for a community, she envisioned an organization that would
bridge the knowledge gap and provide mutual support within the medical community. Through prayer
and collaboration with friends, the idea evolved into the NSBWM UTD chapter, dedicated to serving as a
vital resource hub for Black Women in Healthcare.

Ajaree Massaquoi: A Childhood Fascination Evolves

Ajaree Massaquoi’s journey into medicine was sparked by a childhood fascination with the intricate
workings of the human body. A love for biology, combined with her passion for working with children as
an older sister and cousin, led Ajaree to set her sights on becoming a pediatrician. Her decision was
solidified after a personal encounter with medicine, pushing her to see the field beyond the fantasies
she had initially envisioned.
The discouraging statistic of the underrepresentation of Black women in medicine fueled Ajaree’s
determination to make a difference. Alongside Chelsea and Ayo, she co-founded NSBWM UTD with the
goal of providing a pathway for young Black women to achieve their professional aspirations and
building a community of support and awareness.

Chelsea Edosomwan: From Vision to Reality

Chelsea Edosomwan’s journey into medicine was shaped by a lifelong desire to assist and support
others. While her early years were marked by engagement in humanitarian efforts, Chelsea found
medicine to be the most impactful avenue for making a difference in people’s lives. Her journey through
various student organization ideas, including an anime club and a photography club, culminated in the
realization of the need for a student organization supporting Black women in medicine.
Collaborating with Ayo and Ree, Chelsea played a pivotal role in turning the vision of NSBWM UTD into a
reality. Their organization, born out of shared commitment and resilience, has created a space for
aspiring medical professionals to thrive and learn together.

A Shared Dream: The Genesis of NSBWM UTD

The trio’s shared vision took the form of the National Society of Black Women in Medicine, a platform
aimed at providing a pathway for young Black women and other women to achieve their professional
aspirations.
As NSBWM UTD continues to grow and bloom, these visionary founders serve as inspirations not only
for aspiring medical professionals but for anyone with a dream to make a difference. Their journey
teaches us about resilience, leadership, and the transformative power of turning a shared vision into
reality. As they navigate the challenges of establishing a new organization, the NSBWM UTD founders
embody the spirit of positive change, proving that united efforts can break barriers and pave the way for
a brighter, more inclusive future in medicine.

Currently a sophomore Biology major on the pre-PA track at UTD.