sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Take Full Advantage of Being Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Raise your hand if you’re single. Or if you’re in a public space, just go ahead and nod quietly. The reason for this exercise is not to point out that you are one of the thousands of other single people out there, but more importantly it is to make you feel confident and aware of the possibilities in being so. It is so hard to accept the idea of being single sometimes. Remember that little saying, “it is not you, it is me?” Well, how about if the single ladies and gents out there actually admit that those five words can be one of the truest statements.

Let’s be honest, the single life can have its flaws. Social media can be brutal to singles sometimes. It is especially hard when you scroll through social media and you have to ask yourself, “how is everyone getting married, and I’m over here making Ramen for one?” Plus, don’t forget the hashtags, #mancrushmonday, and, #gf (girlfriend, if you were lost). Don’t they just put you in the mood to drink away your single sorrows with a glass–ahem, bottle–of wine? It all can be so discouraging. Those gestures shouldn’t make you question your “relationship status,” but they should remind you of why the single life is okay, and, honestly, awesome. 

No, I’m not a relationship expert, and no I’m not some bitter single gal who hates love. I believe intimate relationships are essential to growing up. They help you to learn how to communicate with another and gain an understanding of who someone is and who you are. What I am saying is that being single isn’t the end of the world. I am trying to justify the benefits of riding out life in the single lane ’til you are ready, or have found someone, with whom you want to take on the responsibilities of being in an intimate relationship. 

Enjoying and taking advantage of being single is the key to living solo. Being single allows you to take control and responsibility of your own life. Single guys and gals can depend on their alone time. They can kiss one boy or girl, and then kiss another boy or girl because they can. The choices and decisions made when you’re single are completely up to you, and you don’t have to explain, feel guilty, or consider anyone else. Additionally, the single life allows you to decide what your future will be without having to worry or settle for another person’s life. Your dreams and goals should be the most selfish act of all that is acceptable. How can you distinguish who you are and where you want to go in life while trying to calculate in another person’s as well? 

My advice is to not dwell on being single but to embrace the single life for all that it can be. Pour yourself a drink and decide what is most important to you right now. If your answers are focused on you, and you alone, that is a good thing. It should show you that single life doesn’t have to be a drag, but a blessing in disguise. Live loud and decide how you want your life to be. Your days as being single are limited and are not forever. Until then, the best thing to do is focus on yourself and always do you. The beauty of the single life is out there. Make sure you don’t miss it.

Dreaming of living in the big apple and working at rockefeller center. Not ashamed to own and love the Kim Kardashian Selfie book. Feminist by nature, pessimistic by choice and proud of it. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor