This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

There’s been a lot of talk surrounding the new film 1917 that was released in December of 2019. It brought home the Golden Globe for “Best Motion Picture-Drama,” and the director, Sam Mendes, won the Golden Globe for “Best Director-Motion Picture.” If you’ve already seen it, then you can agree with me when I say it’s a truly brilliant masterpiece. The film is like no other film I have ever seen and really enthralls you throughout its entire hour and fifty-nine minutes. I hope this article encourages you to watch the film and let yourself be thrown into World War I. 

The film follows two British soldiers, Lance Corporals Schofield and Blake, in the middle of World War I as they are ordered to do the impossible. They are told to cross over into enemy territory to deliver a message that will stop an attack all before the battalion sends over its first wave the next morning at dawn. The 1,600 men are unknowingly walking into a trap set up by the Germans, and it is the Corporals’ duties to save their lives by halting the attack. It’s a race against time for the two men, and they are always facing some sort of obstacle on their journey. The film itself is inspired by stories the director’s grandfather told him about his experiences as a soldier in WWI, which he passed to the director when he was a child. 

The film is action-packed and the main characters can never seem to catch a break. The suspense and the feeling of being watched that the film creates will keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time. It is not your typical war film and will definitely get you to ask yourself, “Did I really just enjoy a war film?”

On top of the film being suspenseful and captivating, the way it is filmed is astonishing. The whole film is portrayed in one shot but still manages to have a continuous flow and never returns to the same setting. Meaning the film has no visible cuts or edits and no random changes of scenery. It just follows the two main characters as they attempt to finish their seemingly impossible task. This type of cinematography is not very common and makes you feel as if you are following them on their journey. 

1917 is definitely worth your time, and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves exciting films. It will keep you on the edge of your seat and you’ll feel like you’re a part of the non-stop action. 

Photo Source: 1

Sophomore at the University of Utah!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor