Why You Need to Start Watching HBO’s GIRLS Tonight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

GIRLS is an HBO series that follows the lives of one group of recently graduated girls living in New York City. While they address a lot of relevant social issues, it’s also a parody and makes fun of them often. So sit back and have a good laugh, feel free to interpret it any way you want but at the same time don’t worry about taking it too seriously.

It will make you appreciate your not so crazy friends. Let’s be honest, we’ve all thought our friends were losing it at some point in our lives. It’s nice to know you can still be friends despite all the petty fighting.

You will understand that most girls are crazy at some level… As if you didn’t already know this one. Let’s just accept the crazy side in all of us and move on with our lives.

It depicts genuine and authentic life scenarios. *Mentally takes note, okay…so this is a good example of what not to do. 

It has the token HOTTIE that even your boyfriend will be in love with. Trust me, Adam Driver IS the reason to keep watching. It also shows you how things look from the other perspective, which is really the perspective you want.

It will make you feel better about yourself. Lena Dunham’s character Hannah breaks a lot of societal rules. While sometimes you might be thinking “Yikes! Hannah put some clothes on!” other times you are totally supportive, because she is comfortable with her body and is not afraid to show it. It’s a good reminder to us to be respectful of others and their decisions, and to have the courage to rock your body and be proud!

We all have that one friend who is almost too blatantly honest. I mean, it’s not like we don’t appreciate their feedback, but come on. Why do you have to be so right all the time?

It makes you appreciate how much better things seem in college life when compared with the real world. Wait, you mean I really have to graduate?

It’s like going out with all your friends, only you’re really just staying in and watching someone else’s friends fight and betray each other, which makes for great entertainment.

It won’t take long to get wrapped up in the world of GIRLS, and it’s a show you’ll never regret. You’ll realize that sometimes its okay to laugh off the little things, and while your friends may not exactly be like the girls in the show, they will still be there for you when you need them most.

I am a senior studying Spanish and Health education. I am an outdoor enthusiast, avid cyclist, cerveza fanatic, and care deeply about the injustices in this world. My cat Yoda is my biggest fan, and I am currently binge watching HBO's Girls.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor