Why We Should All Applaud Lady Gaga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I’m sure you are all tired of reading articles about the Oscars, but something that I have noticed is that Lady Gaga’s performance didn’t get as much attention and press as it should have. Yes, of course we are all happy for Leo for finally receiving his well-deserved award, and yeah, the “best and worst dressed” articles are fun to browse through, but let’s zoom in on something that really matters: Domestic Violence Awareness.

Gaga performed her song “Till It Happens to You,” which was created for the film The Hunting Ground. Although this song did not win an award, it sends a powerful message to the public about the realities of domestic violence. Her dramatic and very serious performance featured several survivors of sexual assault to exemplify the realness of this issue. Joe Biden, who introduced Gaga to the stage, said, “We must and we can change the culture so that no abused woman or man ever feel they have to ask themselves, ‘What did I do?’ They did nothing wrong.” Because it is not a glamorous topic of conversation, it is often brushed under the rug and saved for later. But we need to face the facts and talk about it. Now. 

The Hunting Ground, an award-winning Sundance film, focuses on sexual assault on college campuses. It brings to light the fact that the staggering numbers of rapes on college campuses are rarely reported and not much is being done about it.

I admire celebrities that bring important subjects to the surface, which has been happening more lately due to the rise in feminism and race equality. But let’s give credit where credit is due… Lady Gaga takes the cake.  

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor