Why Every Collegiette Should Be Proud of the Latest Barbie Advertisement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Since 1959, Barbie has been a household name. Whether you grew up playing with Malibu Barbie or you were a Superstar Barbie kind of girl, you were often playing with your Barbie for as many years as it was socially acceptable. Through the years, Barbie Dolls have gotten a lot backlash from the media. Many believe that the doll has led to body image issues, eating disorders, physical transformations, and lowered confidence. The newest advertisement for Barbie Dolls, Imagine the Possibilities, recreates the way we view Barbie.

Barbie’s Imagine the Possibilities campaign reminds viewers why Barbie became a household name in the first place. When a child plays with a Barbie, she is able to be creative. She is able to use her imagination. She is able to dream. Throughout the advertisement we see girls who dream of being teachers, veterinarians, coaches, businesswomen, anything they want to be. When we allow our youth to use their imagination we allow them to dream, to dare, and to achieve. These young women are able to see themselves achieving their dreams, being successful, and being happy.

Allowing girls to Imagine the Possibilities allows girls to grow into strong, independent, driven women. It gives them the courage to accomplish anything they set their minds to.  We are collegiette’s because we have allowed ourselves to dream. We often find ourselves wondering if we are good enough, smart enough, pretty enough. Between school, work, and trying to maintain a social life it is easy to forget why we do what we do. We forget to keep dreaming. These are the moments we need to take out our Barbie Dolls and remind ourselves of the endless possibilities ahead. The possibilities we can achieve as long as we allow ourselves to dream. 

Taylor Swift isn't a major so I guess Human Development and Family Studies will have to do. All I want in life is for T - Swift to know that we are BFF's, a closet full of Kate Spade, and an endless supply of Chick-Fil-A. Until I find a magic genie to grant my three wishes I'll stick with working for a non-profit, doing a ridiclious amount of online shopping, and being obsessed with my sorority. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor