woman taking pictures near handrail
woman taking pictures near handrail
Tamara Bellis/Unsplash

Who Not To Be On Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Social media has completely changed the way we communicate and connect with our friends and families. With the click of a button, we are able to share pretty much anything with  pretty much anyone. With great power comes great responsibility,  and some people do not use this power as wisely as others. Here is your guide to not becoming the person other people dread seeing on their social media feed.

1. The Loose Cannon

We all have things that bug us, but we don’t need to go on crazed rants all over social media. Facebook is definitely where this is the most common, but it can be found on other networks as well. I appreciate people with strong views, but when you go on an angry rant for all your friends and family to see, you come off looking a little crazy. It should also be noted that if you are looking for others to support your cause, anger isn’t usually the best emotion to lead with.

2. The Subtweeter

For those who don’t know, subtweeting is basically calling out another person on social media, but doing it without addressing them personally, so people are left wondering who it’s about. First of all let’s face the facts, your 143 Twitter followers probably don’t care that “you can’t believe she would do that”. And if something really bothers you so much maybe, you should log off the computer and talk to them in person like an adult.

3. The 400 Second Snapchat Story

This one really doesn’t need explaining. There’s almost no event you could possibly attend that I would want to see 400 seconds of.

4. My Life Is Perfect

This one is most common on Instagram, but I also see it quite a bit on Facebook. This is the friend who is always posting pictures of all the fun and expensive things they do. I have nothing against doing fun things and documenting it, but some people seem like they have something to prove. Weirdly enough, it always seems to be the people who don’t have their crap together who like to pretend they do, so don’t feel too jealous when you see these kinds of posts.

5. Buy My Vitamins And Body Wraps

Whether it’s Thrive, It Works, or any of the other (mostly) useless products. We all know at least one person who’s always begging us to buy something on Facebook. I’m just gonna say what we’re all thinking: Please get a real job and stop trying to leach off your friends from high school with 15 posts a day about how these miracle vitamins have changed your life.

6. Vague Posts

“I’m so excited for Friday at 3”. I can’t believe how many people post vague cryptic messages just begging for people to ask for details. Save us all the trouble next time and just tell us what’s happening at 3 on Friday from the get go.

7. Go Fund Me

Go Fund Me is an amazing utility that allows people to raise money. When someone dies, or is sick, this can be a really easy way for people to pitch in. But there are always those few people who have to take a good thing and make it bad. Over the last couple months I’ve seen go fund me pages to help pay for someone to get a new smartphone, someone asking for money to go on vacation, and even someone asking her friends and family to pitch in on her college tuition bill. Please let this service be used for good, and don’t be the person who feels entitled to have other people pitch in on every little thing you want.

What this all boils down to is that we should all use social media carefully. Next time you go to post something just remember all the people who follow you, and make sure you really want it out there for all to see. Just remember, your grandma probably doesn’t want to see you going off on a political rant or trying to sell her a vitamin patch.

Business major at the University of Utah. Politics fanatic. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor