This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

While discussing the topic of treatment in romantic relationships, I had an epiphany. My partner said to me, “But you don’t want to be treated like a princess.” At first, I was taken aback by the comment and I analyzed what that meant not only to him but to me. In a modernized world of powerful female entrepreneurs and bad ass businesswomen, what does being treated “like a princess really mean,” and does it still coincide with its traditional values?

For independent individuals, being handheld and catered to just doesn’t fit the mold of perfect relationship status. Being treated as if the only thing that’s important about you is your looks doesn’t cut it anymore. In this modern world, women want to be treated with respect for everything but their vanity. Being recognized for their achievements and accomplishments rather than the new dress they just bought from Nordstrom is how our modern-day princesses want to be perceived.

This is not to say that being told you’re beautiful or allowing someone to buy you dinner is out of the question. Traditional romantic values lasted years for a reason — however, not being given the opportunity to order for yourself turns a modern woman off quicker than a blender without a lid. As good as it has gotten, women everywhere still must fight to prove their relevance in all aspects. Not having to prove themselves to a man is everything the modernized female wants.

Though I understand that this is a feministic approach and not all females will resonate, most of the women I’ve been surrounded by relate to these values on a spiritual level. Women are strong, powerful, and resilient creatures who don’t want to be called “baby” anymore. It’s time for the modernized woman to be treated like a modernized princesses, in whatever way that means to her.

A woman who doesn’t need a man but would like one is the type of woman our society is slowly gearing towards. A professional who is up for a complicated and complex job wants a man who knows her strength. No more manipulations, no more talking down — the modern-day princess wants the power in her hands and no one else’s, point blank period.

I'm a Junior at the University of Utah looking for journalism jobs possible to boost my resume. As I study the art of writing I am fascinated by the variety of expertise. I am fashion obsessed and would love to work within the fashion community one day. I am also the current project manager for HER Campus and love every second. As such, I hope to attend Parson's School of design and acquire a master's degree after my time here at the U. I enjoy taking writing courses, entrepreneurship courses, and ethical courses.