Simple and stress free yoga poses!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

After a deliciously relaxing fall break, it almost caused me physical pain to return to school this week, and I’m sure many of you can sympathize. The weeks following a school holiday are usually wrought with stress while teachers pile on enough homework to make up for each (incredible) day of rest we were granted the week before. This workload can cause an immense amount of stress, and we all know the endless physical and emotional ailments that can occur because of it. As a yoga instructor I’ve always found yoga to be a fantastic way to deal with some of the stresses in my life. Here’s hoping it can do the same for you!

As a self-confessed night owl I’m able to function on fewer hours of sleep than most, but I’ll admit that I will NEVER get the hang of all-nighters. One of the poses I’ve found most helpful is a simple spinal flex exercise. Beginning in an easy-seated position with hands placed on the knees, inhale and lift chest up and forward. On the exhale round your back by trying to bring your chin to your chest, and continue this cycle for at least three minutes. According to Prevention.com, this releases blocked energy in the spine. After this warm-up, clasp your hands in front of you with palms facing out. As you breathe in raise your arms up and overhead, lowering them back down to your lap as you exhale. Called the Arm Pump, this exercise helps to stimulate energy flow (the energy we just released!) from the spinal column to the rest of the body. In general, any poses that stimulate vigorous movement are energizing, but remember to avoid any poses where your heart is higher than your head e.g. headstands or inversions because they’ll ultimately give you the opposite result.

When you’re in need of a way to calm yourself when you’re studying for exams, however, breaking out into yoga in the middle of the library isn’t always the best option. One of the best ways to relax is through the use of breathing exercises. The first, called the Three Part Breath, helps you utilize your full lung capacity by breathing into the stomach, ribs and chest rather than the shallow chest breaths we usually take during the day. The second, Alternate Nostril Breathing, is one where you (pretty obvious) practice breathing through one nostril at a time. I wouldn’t suggest you try this one out on a crowded bus, but to each her own.

As if homework and tests weren’t enough, I can’t help but throw in a couple poses for cramps because every lady knows riding the crimson wave during finals week is a nightmare. Inversions are great for symptoms of PMS, especially ones like child’s pose, bridge, and downward dog.

So the next time you find yourself on the verge of a mental breakdown, make use of a couple of these exercises, and I guarantee you’ll survive until the next holiday!

Jetta is a fun and spunky communication student at the University of Utah. She has a lot of energy and an outgoing personality- perfect for her work in service coordination, peer advising, the Department of Communication, Express, and of course HerCampus! Jetta loves social media, writing, and learning new promotion and advertising skills. She does not currently drive a Jetta, but hopefully she can afford one upon completion of her degree!