This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Meet Sierra Matagi! She is a sophomore here at the University of Utah who grew up just twenty miles west in West Valley City. While she is double majoring in business administration and strategic communications, she is also dancing her way around with the University of Utah Dance Team. What a super star! Want to read more about her fulfilled life on campus? Keep scanning!

University of Utah Dance Team

Her Campus: What is your background in dance and how did it become your passion?

Sierra Matagi: I started dancing when I was four! It was something that I did with my sisters – we would go to dance together and I realized how much I loved it. I danced throughout high school where I was on the drill team there and that was a competitive experience.

HC: Why did you decide to try out for the Dance Team at the University of Utah?

SM: My sister was on the Dance Team and that was something I always wanted to do. When I got accepted to the U, I tried out for the Dance Team during my senior year of high school.

HC: What were the tryouts like?

SM: It was pretty intimidating! There were a lot of girls (approx. seventy-five) that tried out and the whole process lasted for two days. They had a lot of cuts – including for girls who come back! As a returner, there is always a spot up for grabs.

HC: What kinds of functions does the Dance Team perform at?

SM: We perform at football and basketball games, both men and women, along with women’s volleyball. We also do various competitions and events around campus.

HC: What has been the greatest experience you have had with the Dance Team?

SM: One of the greatest experiences I have had with the team was when we got invited to the NCAA Tournament last year with the men’s basketball team in Denver and it was very fun to dance at a huge event.

HC: What advice would you give to dancers who want to further their career in dance?

SM: Do not give up and remember the reason why you started dancing!

University of Utah Student Questions

Her Campus: What is your favorite aspect of the University of Utah?

Sierra Matagi: I like how there is a lot of diversity here on campus, and I also like how there are so many things to do (clubs, intramural sports, etc.) that are offered to students.

HC: Where is your favorite nap spot on campus?

SM: Definitely the womb chairs in the library!

HC: Where is your favorite place to eat on campus?

SM: Einstein’s in the Union! Gotta get that Trumoo!

HC: Turn on’s?

SM: If a boy has a good personality and is just a genuine person!

HC: Turn off’s?

SM: I hate when boys chew with their mouth open! Also if he is fake!

Grew up in the ocean of LA and in the mountains of Park City. I have the biggest passion for writing music... and also skiing. I was on the Dr. Phil show. Not for my problems, just for reacting to someone's discipline problems. I'm obsessed with shopping, Starbucks, Rap, EDM, and binge watching of Criminal Minds.  Follow me on the gram: @sophia_hella
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor