Style > Beauty

Quick Fix: A Fast Skincare Routine Perfect for Any College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I think we can all agree, great skin is something we all strive for. Because not all of us have the time or desire for a full at-home facial that can take more than thirty minutes, a fast skincare regimen is definitely the way to go for most. Life can be chaotic and unexpected, which results in zero to no time for self care. With this routine, however, taking care of yourself can be quick and easy. These four steps will only take ten minutes of your time, both day and night, and will result in a healthy glow that everyone loves.

Step 1. Cleanse

Cleansing is one of the most important steps to this whole routine. By doing this, the grime and dirt collected throughout the day is washed out of our pores, preventing breakouts from occurring. Double cleansing is especially essential if you wear foundation and a regular face wash doesn’t always remove all the makeup. First, put a small amount of facial balm or oil in your hands and rub it into the skin for about 1 minute. After that, use any soapy cleanser of your choice and wash it off with cold water.

Step 2. Exfoliate

Although exfoliating is optional, this step makes such a difference to the skin. If you’re planning on doing a daily exfoliation, go with a gentle scrub. A quarter-sized amount is best when using these in both gel and powder form. After massaging the formula into the skin and rinsing it off, dead and dull skin disappears and smooth skin is left as a result.

Step 3. Toner

This step is a great addition to any skin care regimen by acting as a extra cleansing step. It’s quick and easy as well. Non-alcoholic toners have hydrating qualities that make them the best choice when deciding which one to use. Simply pour a small amount of the liquid onto a cotton pad and swipe it over your face, neck, and chest. Usual outcomes of this include tightened pores and plump skin.

Step 4. Moisturize

This step is the most crucial step in any skin routine. This product locks in every step that’s been done before and also keeps the skin looking hydrated and fresh. There are moisturizers for every skin type and need, ranging from oily to acne prone skin.

Extras: For The Days You Feel Like Doing The Most

I don’t know about you, but there are definitely those days when I want to put a little more effort into my skin. Whether it’s masks, serums, or oils, these add-ons are simple to incorporate into a regimen when there’s extra time. Here are a few of my fav products that make a huge difference and leave my skin feeling new.

• Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin E Mask ( $27) – I cannot say enough good things about this product. This mask not only works well when left on the skin for fifteen minutes, but it also doubles as a hydrating moisturizer. I discovered this product after having seen great reviews, and I can honestly say that mask has made a huge impact on my skin.
  • Biolumin-C Serum ($87) – Having dealt with dark spots for most of my life, I can verify that vitamin C truly lightens hyperpigmentation. Not only does this serum reduce dark spots, it also prevents fine lines and wrinkles and exfoliates the skin.

• TONYMOLY Sheet Masks ($4) – Sheet masks are great for those of us who hate making messes. Usually, putting on a face mask involves slathering on a cream that can transfer to our hands and hair. With sheet masks, that is not a problem. These masks are sanitary and when taken off, the remaining serum left on the face quickly absorbs and can be left on overnight.

• Bigelow Rose Salve ($5) – This multipurpose balm works to target dry lips and patches on the skin. Not only does it hydrate the skin, but it heals open wounds that may be a bother. When it’s put on the lips, it leaves a pink tint and creates a glossy appearance.

• Seatox Mist ($70) – This detoxifying mist creates a barrier for the skin to fight against dry and dirty air. Not only does it decongest the skin, but it also leaves it feeling fresh. It sets makeup and acts as a toner with anti-aging properties.

Skin care can be seen as a luxury to some because of the time that is put into it; however, with quick and easy routines like this one, everyone has the ability to have healthy, glowing skin. I’ve tried this routine and can definitely say that it has made a difference, but seeing visible results can only come from consistency and patience. It is not an overnight change. These routines can be tailored to fit anyone’s lifestyle, and whether you chose to follow the regimen step by step or instead simplify it to your liking, there will be results. Skincare not only affects appearance, but it can also change a person’s confidence. When you look good, you feel good, too. 

Pictures: 1, 2, 3, 4

President of Her Campus Utah and Senior at the University of Utah.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor