stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Pampering on a Budget: DIY Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It can be hard finding the time to pamper yourself. Our lives are so consumed by school, work, significant others, friends, and family. With so many obligations to fulfill, it may seem impossible to somehow find time for yourself in the sea of things to do for other people, but honey, you are worth it.

You are worth every ounce of love you give others. You are worth every drop of sweat and tears you shed for other people. You are worth the time you spend loving, worrying, understanding. And you deserve to give some of that to yourself –more often than you might believe. It may be hard to dedicate that time, and maybe even harder to dedicate money to those moments spent in service to yourself for the good of your soul, but you are worth it, and there are cheap, delicious ways to do it in your own home.

DIY Hydrating, Revitalizing Face Mask

Honey is a natural humectant with antibacterial properties and antioxidants; combined with a knack for hydration, your skin will look flawless. On top of it, adding avocado will help maximize moisture and bestow its anti-aging qualities right into your skin, instantly revitalizing your natural glow. And if you are not quite ready to embark on the self-pampering train alone, have a fun girls night and try this mask out!

Ingredients:

• 2 avocados
  • ¼ c. honey

Directions:

1. Cut avocados and discard pits.
  2. Place cut avocados and honey into a bowl and begin mashing.
  3. Once you’ve achieved a smooth texture, put the mixture in a jar to keep for up to 5 days.
  4. When you are ready to pamper yourself, gently steam your face to open pores.
  5. Brush face mask onto your face using your hands or a mask tool.
  6. Leave the mask on for 15 minutes and enjoy time to relax. (Pro Tip: put sliced cucumbers over your eyes for a spa day effect!)
  7. Rinse with cool water.

DIY Luxurious Sugar Scrub

This customizable sugar scrub will leave your body feeling silky smooth and smelling sweet. The recipe provided here will be designed for the entire body but can always be tweaked to achieve certain goals, such as a softer scrub for your face and/or lips (more coconut oil) or a rougher scrub for your feet (more sugar). It is simple to make and a great addition to your skincare routine. Pro Tip: Using a sugar scrub before and after you shave will help you achieve a smoother shave and leave your body feeling soft and moisturized.

Ingredients:

• 1 c. of granulated sugar (I prefer a mix of white and brown because the brown can smell sweeter and the white can be better for exfoliation).
  • ½ c. coconut oil (olive oil or almond oil would work great also!)
  • 5-10 drops of essential oils or a 2-5 tbs. of spices of your choice! (Citrus is great for summer months, pumpkin for autumn, or cinnamon for winter months)
  • Optional: add 5-10 drops of food coloring to your scrub for a flare of glamour!

Directions:

1. Combine ingredients in a bowl
  2. Test and tweak amounts until you find your desired texture.
  3. Remember, each scrub is absolutely customizable!
  4. Scoop finished mixture into a jar for good keeping (up to 2 months)!
  5. When ready to use, rub gently on wet skin.

DIY Relaxing Himalayan Bath Salts

These bath salts are perfect for a romantic night to yourself. A nice soak and a glass of wine at the end of the day might be just what the doctor ordered and just the kind of self-pampering you have been wishing for –and just like the sugar scrub, these salts can fulfill your every need with a bit of tweaking and experimenting!

Ingredients:

• 1 c. Epsom salt
  • 1 c. Himalayan Pink Salt
  • 5-10 drops of essential oils or 2-5 tbs. of spices of your choice! (Rose, peppermint, rosemary, mint, eucalyptus are all wonderful choices.)
  • Optional: add 10-20 drops of food coloring or dried flowers to the salts like lavender or rose petals to make the experience even more luxurious –because you’re worth it!

Directions:

1. Combine ingredients in a bowl
  2. Store in a jar until ready to use
  3. Add ¼ – ½ c. per bath

Treat yourself like the queen you are and enjoy it. Revel in the beauty and prestige that is you. Give yourself the gifts you bless everyone else in your life because, at the end of the day, you will always come home to yourself. Treat her the way she should be treated! All those kind words you say to your loved ones, try ‘em out on you. All those good wishes and treats –treat yourself! Do it for you because you deserve to treat yourself like everyone else and you deserve to do it authentically because your authentic self is wonderful, unique, stunning. She is you.

The most important thing is to be true to yourself, especially when trying to take care of yourself and to choose the ingredients and the experiences that will fill your cup. Experiment and have fun with it because you would never expect someone you love to settle for anything less than what they love and deserve –neither should you! Just because someone else prefers vanilla sugar scrub, doesn’t mean that vanilla is right for you. Try coffee sandalwood. Try out an earl grey bath salt soak. Find your niche. I know how hard it is to make that time for yourself, so when you do, make it yours. These recipes are just the basics. There are hundreds of possibilities out there, and who knows, maybe this exploration will bring you closer to your true self and self-love.

Photo 1, 2, 3, 4

Kayla Lee

Utah '22

Hey there! I am delighted to share my articles with you!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor