The Pace to Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

This post is for all you seniors out there. Perhaps, like me, you’re feeling that major senioritis at this time of year. Only a few weeks till school lets out, and the best part – you’re not coming back.

As we race for the end, it’s important to remember to finish strong. Don’t let your senioritis pull you down in the dumps. I’ve definitely felt myself slacking on homework, and getting the urge to skip an increasing number of classes. Here are a few tips to keep you motivated throughout the next coming weeks.

Face it. There are only three weeks left of school. That’s not a whole month, or even a whole year. You can do it. Just remember that in the long run of your college career this is but a small moment. You’ve lasted this long. You can keep on keepin’ on.  

GPA Regret. Remember, this is your last semester. In it, you can make or break your GPA. This can mean the difference between graduating with honors or not. Don’t throw your grades in the toilet by slacking off for one semester. Trust me, you’ll regret it later.

Achievement. Keep that image in your head of you sitting in your cap and gown, while the co-founder of Pixar and a major player in the making of “Toy Story” (yes, he’s speaking at commencement this year!) is giving a fabulous speech about following your dreams. Think how proud you’ll feel as you receive your diploma, and throw your cap up in the air with applause. Visualize that moment. Live for it. Think about it every time you feel the urge to skip class or slack on assignments.

Here’s wishing us all good luck till the end, and may we see you throwing your cap at graduation!

Lexi Jones is a senior with a double major in journalism and anthropology at the University of Utah. Born and raised in Salt Lake City, she loves exploring the outdoors, rock climbing, music, and writing. She is currently a museum aid for the Bureau of Land Management. She has interned with LDS Living magazine as a writer, the Utah Museum of Natural History in the anthropology lab, and the National Society of Leadership and Success as a founding chapter president. Her inspirations are Mark Twain and Paulo Coelho. Lexi aspires to be a freelancer for National Geographic. Always pursuing multiple passions, she is currently applying to graduate school for a Masters in archaeology and a Juris doctorate, and yes, she does plan to enroll in both at the same time.