This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Valentine’s Day is coming up, and if you’re like me you’ll be wanting to kick off your month with some lovey-dovey novel reading. The only problem is most romance novels are trash. Here’s a list of great books where the main plot isn’t romance, but romance plays an intrinsic role.

Fantasy:

1. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

This is my favorite book, and I completely suggest it for lovers of both romance and fantasy. Wth an independent heroine and a to-die-for (literally) love interest, this book is perfect to fill your romantic heart with joy.

2. Defy by Sara B. Larson

If you’re looking for a cross-dressing, butt-kicking heroine, this is the book for you! With political intrigue, dangerous magic and romance, what could go wrong?

3. Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Do you like vampires? Ghouls? A cute redhead that will seduce the undead to their graves? Then this book is perfect for you!

4. Rhapsodic by Laura Thalassa

This book is a must-read for lovers of magic and love. With creative depictions of a Siren matched with a man who steals her favors to keep her coming back, this book will keep you turning page after page.

Historical Fiction:

1. Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen 

This Robinhood retelling focuses on Maid Marian, ut not the one you’re used to. This Maid Marian is a thief, merryman, and overall inspirational character, and will keep you on the edge of your seat until the series is over.

2. Taste of Shine by Addison Cain

When Charlotte (Charlie) meets Matthew she doesn’t know what to think. She’s a bounty hunter hunting down kingpins in 20’s era Chicago. He’s a country boy in the illegal moonshine business. What will happen next?

3. The Wind Dancer by Iris Johansen

When a famous statue is stolen from France an ambitious man tasked with its guardianship meets a destitute woman willing to help him in his quest. If you love depictions of historical Italy and France this book will check all your boxes.

Get reading, collegiates! Valentine’s Day is only once a year but, thankfully, books are forever.

Photo Sources are tagged in their respective titles. 

Hello! I am a junior studying Peace & Conflict Studies and Strategic Communication at the University of Utah. I am also minoring in Political Science. I am passionate about advocacy, education, and Star Trek!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor