National Parks Bucket List: Utah Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I have a confession to make. Though this is my third year at the University of Utah as a geology student, I have not been to any of the five national parks Utah has to offer. At least, I don’t remember going to any of them. The couple that I may have visited are blurred in my mind, with weeks spent on the road and a faulty speedometer, which just isn’t acceptable. Each park has its own unique sites and landscapes to admire. So now that I’m older, and have a greater chance at actually remembering the road trips I’ve taken, I’ve decided to visit as many national parks as I can in my life. Why not start here, in the state where I am currently staying? Here’s the start of my national parks bucket list, with Utah right on the top.

1. Arches

First on this alphabetical list is Arches National Park near Moab. As expected by the name, this park has many fantastic examples of naturally occurring stone arches (over 2000, in fact!) along with other rock formations to explore through the use of the available hiking trails. There are several camping spots scattered around Arches, including a 50-site campground, to make the trip last longer. However, if you’re just planning a day visit, make sure to visit Landscape Arch, the longest naturally occurring stone arch in North America!

2. Bryce Canyon

While not quite as obviously named as Arches, Bryce Canyon has its own world-renowned landscape. Rather than arches, though, Bryce contains the largest collection of hoodoos in the world. (For anyone interested, hoodoos are those natural pillars that generally have an eroded and often worryingly large rock seemingly balanced on top.) The “Canyon” in the park’s name is a slight misnomer, as the park actually contains a collection of natural amphitheaters rather than a typical canyon. The most famous of the amphitheaters is the Bryce Amphitheater. Hikes are available, including the popular Navajo Loop.

3. Canyonlands

Canyonlands is one of the parks that I may or may not have actually visited. Near Moab, this park is comprised of many canyons, providing yet another example of a name lacking in creativity. The Green and Colorado rivers divide the park into four districts: Island in the Sky, The Needles, The Maze, and the rivers themselves. It is difficult to go between the regions, as there are only so many places to get across the rivers, so trying to see all of this park in one day may be impractical. A famous site in Canyonlands is the Mesa Arch, which was pictured as one of the standard backgrounds for Windows 7 desktops (fun fact)!

4. Capitol Reef

Located near Torrey, this national park offers plenty of hikes to explore the gorgeous landscape of cliffs, canyons, domes, and bridges. There are several places to camp for the night, which is an excellent decision to make as Capitol Reef National Park has been designated a Gold Tier “International Dark Sky Park” by the International Dark-Sky Association. The Cassidy Arch (pictured above) is another great example of the natural wonders that are present in this park. This area has also been influenced by the people that lived there previously, creating a mix of historic and natural landmarks to discover.

5. Zion

Alphabetically, last but not least, is Zion National Park. Near Springdale, it can take a bit of planning to navigate this park. But if you are interested in taking the Zion Canyon Scenic drive, you’ll have to take a free shuttle bus between March and November (at least for 2018) as no private vehicles are allowed on this road during this time. Other roads should be checked to ensure they are open, but the planning is worth it. Historical context provides Zion with some interesting experiences, all while enjoying the sandstone cliffs of the area. The slot canyons, such as Echo Canyon, are impressive structures that will leave you with plenty of memories.

Bonus: Dinosaur National Monument

Now, Dinosaur National Monument is not a national park, and I have actually visited it recently. However, what kind of geology student would I be if I didn’t add this Utah fixture to my list? This monument on the border with Colorado offers several activities to enjoy. There are hiking trails and indigenous wall paintings to admire. The main draw, however, is obviously the dinosaur skeletons. Located within the monument is a wall full of partially excavated dinosaur bones, some of which you’re even allowed to touch! I’ll be heading back someday!

These are only some of the wonderful sites available to see in Utah. Beyond the national parks and Dinosaur National Monument, there are plenty of other national monuments and historic locations to explore in this vast state. I’ve only scratched the surface of what there is to visit, and I plan on adding more to my list as time goes by. Happy exploring!

Pictures: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor