Myth Busting Microblading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

What is Microblading?

Microblading is a new semi-permanent facial cosmetic procedure to enhance your eyebrow shape and definition. IT IS NOT A TATTOO ON YOUR FACE. The idea behind this brow-boost is to use a sharp tool that looks like a mini exacto-knife (creepy, I know. Just try not to think about it) to scratch tiny lines into your natural brows, so that they look just like individual hairs. The results are overwhelmingly popular.

My Story

Okay so back story on me, myself, and my brows: I have brown hair and light brown eyebrows. I love love love the shape of my brows, but when I take pictures without having them filled in, they magically disappear. I wanted to have natural-looking brows that were perfectly filled in and that I never had to deal with on my own. I can’t even tweeze my own eyebrows, how am I supposed to be expected to fill them in correctly?! I had made a couple appointments and later canceled all of them either because I had a panic attack about pricing (beauty is pain) or I was unsure of whom I chose to do them. Then a miracle happened. One day in class as I was looking through instagram accounts dedicated to brow beauty, a boy next to me in class mentioned that his girlfriend is a cosmetologist and does microblading out of her house for about half the price that her salon would charge. SOLD! I booked an appointment that day, and the next week I was driving through suburban Utah get me some fly-brows.

I walked in and she was so cute and stylish I was automatically comfortable and sure of my decision. We talked for a couple minutes about what I wanted from my brows, she was 100% dedicated to doing what I wanted, not what she thought I wanted. That was super important to me because 1. It’s MY face and 2. Way too many stylists these days just do the same thing to everyone’s face which is dumb because we are all beautiful in different ways and we all have different #browgoals. Anyway, I laid down on the comfiest bed every and the put some numbing cream on my brows and gave it about 10 minutes to kick in. While that was soaking in, she measured my brows and outlined them; making sure to show me every step of the way and confirm that I liked where she was going with this. Then she pulled out some color samples and we matched them to my hair. We found one I liked and she took a pic of it next to my face so she would remember which one it was for my fill in later.

Now it was time to begin. She opened a new razor blade in front of me to show me it was new, sterile, and safe to use. (If they don’t do this, LEAVE) I was slightly terrified, but kept it cool and calm because tensing up before any kind of potential pain just makes it 10x worse. The numbing cream wasn’t 100% effective for the first couple minutes so the blade strokes weren’t comfortable by any means, but they weren’t so painful that I regret doing it. Imagine a paper cut on your eyebrow- that’s exactly what it felt like. After the first round of strokes, she added a numbing spray that soaks into the cuts (don’t worry-it doesn’t sting I promise) and then magically I felt nothing! What I did notice still was the sound. Not going to lie, the sound of someone scraping your flesh is pretty gross, but if you’re talking to your cosmetologist you kind of forget about it.

About an hour later I was all done and it was time to take a final look…

I was OBSESSED. Everyone says “They’re going to be so dark at first. Don’t freak out!” I have no idea what they’re talking about because my brows were flawless. I had never seen something so beautiful. They looked so natural, yet perfectly shaped and filled in. I could not have loved the results anymore.

We talked about how to take care of my brows for the first week and we scheduled my fill in appointment for 6 weeks later. Within the first 3 days of getting them done I have gotten more compliments that you could ever imagine! My brows are finally perfect and I have never been more obsessed with my own face.

Here are my before and after:

Do’s and Don’ts:

DO discuss all of your wants/concerns before hand! It’s your face, you take control.

DON’T drink alcohol the day before or you will bleed…. A lot.

DO go back for your fill-in after 4-6 weeks! It’s the cherry on top of you cake.. face… cake face?

DON’T freak out if they’re darker than you wanted in those first weeks, they will fade to flawless in no time.

DO your research. You want to make sure you’re getting your money’s worth and going somewhere safe.

DON’T worry if you feel like you’re going to sneeze the whole time, it’s a totally strange but totally normal side effect.

DO tell your cosmetologist if you’re about to sneeze. The last thing you need is an eyebrow in the middle of your forehead.

DON’T forget to take care of them while they heal! If you want them to last, you have to help them out a little.

DO it. Make an appointment and Nike that shit.

For more info about the miracle worker who #blessed my brows, click here and here!

Your life is only as good as your mindset.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor