freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Merry (Kiss)mas: A Relationship Guide for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Twinkling lights, peppermint-flavored everything, and a soft flurry of snow—the holidays are no doubt the most romantic time of year. However, being in a relationship over the holidays isn’t all cheesy carols and mistletoe; the holidays also involve compromise and planning. You’ve got to make time for both of your friends, families, and traditions, as well as some much-needed alone time. To keep your holidays as merry as possible, here are some tips to keep both you and your partner feeling in the holiday spirit.

1. Make a holiday plan and stick to it.

The holidays are hectic—that’s a given—so make sure that you’ve got a plan to make the most out of your time. Once you see everything on paper, it makes it so much more manageable in real life. And less stress means a more joyful holiday.

2. Remember, It’s not all about you.

It’s your partner’s holiday season too, and they have their own expectations and traditions that need to be included as well. This means compromise. You may not get to do everything you’re used to, but it’ll be well worth it to have happy holidays and make new memories with the person you love.

3. Go shopping together.

Holiday shopping is stressful in general, but going shopping with your partner means a second opinion on that sweater for Mom, and it will help bring you closer together as a couple. Plus, you can drop hints about what you’re hoping to find under the tree this year.

4. Spend some time acting like little kids.

Make snow angels, decorate gingerbread houses, and don’t forget to leave cookies for Santa! Don’t you miss the wonder and magic you felt during the holidays as a little kid? Bring that feeling back this holiday by taking part in some of the silly rituals you did as a little kid with your significant other. Write letters to Santa and watch all those old movies in your PJ’s—nostalgia, and romance, will ensue.

5. Spend time alone with your family.

It’s a good thing to want to be around your partner all of the time, but it’s also healthy to spend some time apart. As much as your parents love your partner, they also want to spend some time alone with you.  This will give your partner a chance to give their family some one-on-one time as well and will keep the holiday drama at a minimal. Plus, absence makes the heart grow fonder…

6. Stop complaining.

We get it—Those holidays aren’t all fun and games. Not all family functions are sweet and nostalgic; there’s always someone coughing all over the place who should be home in bed and even though the sweater your aunt got you is hideous, you’re expected to wear it to dinner. However, the more you complain, the more negative energy you place on the situation. Despite what indie films taught you, it’s not cool to be grumpy and aloof.  Your partner won’t feel comfortable and may actually be annoyed by your attitude. If it’s a horrible event, focus on the good: you’ve got an awesome partner by your side. If worst comes to worst, laugh. Laughter makes everything better.

7. Do something sweet and unexpected.

You’ve already done the typical ice skating date, so take it up a notch. Show your partner how much they mean to you. It can be as simple as surprising them with doughnuts and hot chocolate after a busy day at work or leaving cute notes on their car window, but it’s the little things that will really make your partner feel special and loved and will make the holiday season as magical as you want it to be.

Being in a relationship during the holidays can be stressful, but it’s a wonderful opportunity to bring the two of you closer together, and with picturesque scenery and all of those warm, fuzzy memories to set the mood, it’s the perfect time for romance. The key to the perfect holiday is finding the balance between that idyllic Winter Wonderland and the realities of the season.

Madison Adams is a feminist, a tea enthusiast, a friend to the animals, and a lover of words. Mostly, though, she's a young woman who's still trying to figure things out. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor