Life As An English Major, As Told by Tyrion Lannister From Game of Thrones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

You decide to share your exciting news with your parents that you’re majoring in English! Initially, they don’t understand and wonder how you’re going to fulfill their dreams of you being a doctor. So, in their most concerned, yet disappointed voices they say something along the lines of, “Are you sure that’s a good choice? You’re not as clever as you think you are…” and you just sit there like…

Then you spend all summer convincing your parents to trust you because

When the semester finally starts you’re so excited to attend your classes. You’re sure you’ll meet all sorts of like-minded individuals! Like, oh hey…

But actually, you find out half of your class is full of pretentious “experts”…

Luckily there are a few classmates that you actually do like, and you set up study dates with them…

But then homework just starts piling up, and you spend every amount of free time like…

How do professors not understand that you have four other classes and work? Inbetween writing essays and endless reading you sort of start day-dreaming that you could just…

Plus, you have that one professor who never uses any of the texts, but always asks, “Do you have the reading material today?” And you have to be like…

Your friends want to hang out, but you have to say, “No, I can’t. THERE’S TOO MUCH TO DO!” You then realize that was a bit much and you apologize like… 

And then finals happened. You thought you knew enough to not have to cram, but you were wrong and your mentality becomes, I didn’t study

You try to earn extra credit by going to readings, but when you see your professors outside of class all you can think is…

Then as you wait for final grades to be posted you begin to panic, and start thinking of back up plans for your life…

Surpirse! It turns out you freaked out for nothing! You actually did well on your exams…

Now, you can’t wait to be back at it next semester…

Being an English Major can be tough. A lot of people don’t understand why you chose it or what in the seven hells you’re going to do with it. But don’t worrry collegiettes. You know what you’re doing!

English major. Avid Political Intern. Olivia Pope enthusiast. Designated "Mom" of the group. Wannabe yogi. Wine drinker.Living in and thoroughly enjoying Salt Lake City. Writing amusing and sarcastic material for the beautiful undergrads of THE U. (The original one here in Utah. Sorry not Sorry Miami.)
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor