This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

New Year is a time for resolutions, but I’m never entirely sure what I would like to have as a goal for the coming months. When I am searching for ideas, I usually look over the past year for some inspiration. One event that caused quite the stir in 2019 was the season finale of Game of Thrones. While there were definitely mixed feelings about the last season, everyone will agree that there were some epic characters throughout the course of the series. One such character is Lady Olenna Tyrell, nicknamed “the Queen of Thorns” for her sharp wit and barbed words. Between her no-nonsense behavior and her drive, we could all take a little inspiration from Lady Olenna. Here are some tips to consider for the following year from the Queen of Thorns herself.

As a quick warning, there will be spoilers for important moments from “Game of Thrones” in this article.

1. Don’t let anyone tell you what you think or need.

“As an authority on myself, I must disagree.”

Since most of the characters in Game of Thrones were constantly trying to elevate their position, manipulation was a common theme throughout the series. As the matriarch of House Tyrell, it was natural that some individuals tried to convince Lady Olenna to “see their point of view.” Each time, the Queen of Thorns shut them down. She knew what she wanted, and she made sure that she got what she wanted. We could all use a bit more of this self-assurance in our lives.

2. Take pride in your accomplishments.

“Tell Cersei. I want her to know it was me.”

While it always hurts to have a beloved character die, Lady Olenna had one of the best death scenes in Game of Thrones (which is really saying something). After being assured that her death by poison would be painless, Lady Olenna made sure to have the last word by revealing her role in the murder of King Joffrey. While the reveal may just have been intended to hurt her enemy and Joffrey’s mother, Cersei, it’s obvious Lady Olenna took pride in achieving such a feat.

3. Speak your mind and get your point across.

“As for your veiled threats–” “What veil?”

Throughout the course of the series, it was very clear that the Queen of Thorns had no use for unnecessary politicking. She could speak diplomatically when needed, but truly preferred people to just state their thoughts. She was definitely blunt enough to help the process along, saying the things people needed to hear even when it may not have been the most appropriate. There was never any mistaking her intentions or opinions, which is something to admire.

4. Believe in yourself and trust your intuition.

“I’ve known a great many clever men. I’ve outlived them all. You know why? I ignored them.”

There’s something to be said for listening to the advice of others, but when it comes down to it, you’re the one living your life. You’re the one that gets to decide what path you’ll tread. Lady Olenna was not shy about her disdain for people that unquestioningly followed their prescribed path. People will always be happy to tell you what you should do. Make Lady Olenna proud and make the decision yourself.

For the New Year, I aspire to be just a bit more like Lady Olenna. Putting aside the murder and political intrigue, there are some truly inspiring pieces of advice to be gleaned from the Queen of Thorns. I hope these tips help in producing a long, pleasant life. Happy new year, everyone!

Images: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor