I Lost my Best Friend to Her Boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Dear ex-best friend

Isn’t it so funny how we would talk behind each other’s back when we were younger, have late night conversations when we were in high school, have heart to hearts at the most random times and places, or how I would tell you how I felt about a boy and then you would do the same?

Now I don’t even talk to you because you’re too busy uploading pictures of you and your new boyfriend onto Instagram.

I’ve tried to talk to you so many times, and I’ve even gone out of my way to see you in person, because seeing someone face to face is better than seeing someone’s response on a screen. But you don’t respond, you don’t call and when I went to see you in person, you didn’t even look me in the eyes, you were too busy being wrapped up in your boyfriend’s arms.

It’s fine… I can understand that we all find our person and we go through that honeymoon stage, but what happened to our friendship?

We would always talk about how we would grow old together and never let a guy get in the way of our friendship, but now you can’t do anything WITHOUT your boyfriend by your side.

All of our other friends can manage their boyfriends and social lives perfectly fine, so why can’t you?

When we get older and busier, we stop seeing each other every week, and we don’t even need to talk every single day, but when you or any other one of my best friends sends me a text message or calls me, I make sure to answer and reply as soon as I can.

You say you don’t have your phone on you? Well that’s awkward because you just uploaded a video onto your Snapchat Story 15 minutes ago and I text you 20 minutes before that.

It’s not hard to make time for me, as one of your best friends I feel as though I deserve that much. “Ovaries before brovaries.”

I just wish that you would stop being so in love with your boyfriend for maybe 5 minutes and realize that I was there WAY before he ever was. I went through your ugly stage with you, and was there to see you be stupid and trip over air, but somehow that is irrelevant now because your boyfriend has abs and a penis. 

Just know that I will always be your best friend, but the longer you ignore me, the harder it is for me to stick around and wait for you. I don’t want to be remembered after you get dumped, because that makes me feel like crap. I am a good person and have always been that for you, but even good things have an expiration date, and when you chose him, you ignored us, I can’t forget that.

I am happy for you, but I am also sorry for us.

Sincerely, your ex- best friend

Hey there fellow Her Campus readers! My name is Nancy Gomez, I'm a Junior at the University of Utah. I am from the West Valley City area, and am an Athletic Training major, so you can bet that I love sports, and that's one of my main topics when writing articles. I love to cook, and binge watch Narcos on Netflix! I'm super excited to be writing for Her Campus for the first time and can't wait to see what's next. GO UTES!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor