How to Recover From a Hangover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Going out and drinking is a huge part of the college atmosphere, and to be honest, it’s pretty fun. I do enjoy my nights in, but there’s no way I’ll be a hypocrite and say that I don’t enjoy going to parties now and then.

Now if only we could find a way to drink what we want and wake up feeling like we just stepped out of a yogurt commercial. Instead, it feels like grossness is oozing from your pores.

When a hangover is inevitable and you want to lessen the damage to your soul, here is some advice I’ve gathered on how to recover.

Water is your friend.

This one should be totally obvious. Alcohol is very dehydrating, so in order to combat the horrible side effects that come with dehydration, make sure you’re drinking water constantly. People have different preferences, whether it’s drinking a whole glass before they go to bed and after they wake up, or a glass of water for each ounce of alcohol consumed. Find what works for you and seriously commit to rehydrating.

More fluids!!

Following a theme here, I cannot stress enough how important rehydrating your body is. But sometimes there are other good things for you besides water. Both Gatorade and Pedialyte are great options that you should have ready for when you’re not feeling too hot.

Get some food in your stomach.

Again, everyone has their own preference for their hangover meal, but whatever it is, eat up! I doubt there’s any scientific fact behind the myth that carbs help “soak up the alcohol”, but an empty stomach isn’t the best feeling. So eat what you need to recover: hash browns and an omelette, fruits and veggies, or even just saltines. Help your body help you.

Become a couch potato for the day.

Personally, I find that the best way to find the energy to function again is to spend a good portion of the day in bed, with Netflix. If my head pounds every time I stand up, then why stand up? It’s also a perfect opportunity to catch up on whatever show you’ve been binge watching lately.

Or don’t.

For some, getting active and sweating out those toxins is what does the trick. So try going on a run if that’s for you, or even just walking to the nearest 7-11 to buy some Gatorade. Baby steps.

Advil helps too.

Don’t discount the obvious fixes. Advil, ibuprofen, anything that helps that monster of a headache go away. It has also been said that taking two Advil with lots of water the night before can help prevent a major headache for the next day. Seems worth a shot.

Lastly, I just want to say that while drinking can be very fun, try to be responsible! Having a hangover every weekend doesn’t make for very exciting time off from school. Be kind to your bodies, collegiettes. Here’s to hoping your next hangover isn’t such a doozy!

California native transplanted in Utah.I love sushi and hate seafood. I understand I'm strange, let's just accept it and move on.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor