How to Protect Yourself on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Something that every girl in college thinks about at one point or another is how she can stay safe on campus. Whether it’s when you’re walking to your car late at night or being alone in the empty library, it is something we all worry about. With the recent events that have happened on campus, it is more important than ever to find resources that are available at the U for your safety. Here are the resources offered by Campus Security and things that you can do to take this issue into your own hands.

1. Call 911 or 801-585-COPS

If you are in a bad situation the first thing you should do is call either of these numbers so the police or campus security know what is happening and that you need help. 

2. Campus Alert Texts

Make sure you are recieving the campus alert texts. This is SO important because it is the fasest way to hear about sketchy things happening on campus. If you aren’t recieving these texts you can change the settings in your CIS account to fix this.

3. Take a R.A.D Class on Campus

Taking a self-defense class is a great way to feel safer on campus because you will be able to physically protect youself against an attacker. The U has classes available to it’s students called R.A.D. Below is a link to descriptions of the courses and how to register!

“The Rape Aggression Defense System is a program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques for women. The R.A.D. System is a comprehensive, women-only course that begins with awareness, prevention, risk reduction and risk avoidance, while progressing on to the basics of hands-on defense training. R.A.D. is not a Martial Arts program. Our courses are taught by nationally certified R.A.D. Instructors and provide each student with a workbook/reference manual. This manual outlines the entire Physical Defense Program for reference and continuous personal growth, and is the key to our free lifetime return and practice policy for R.A.D. graduates.”

Click here: online registration for scheduled dates and times. Classes $25, but there is limited space. Make sure you pre-register online. If you have any questions contact Sgt. Heather Horstmeier at 801-587-8637 or Lt. Lynn Rohland at 801-585-1162.

Definitely think about taking a R.A.D class so you feel more confident about your ability to protect youself on campus.

4. Safety Presentations

The University of Utah Campus provides safety presentations for students to watch to learn more about what to do if something dangerous happens to you. Here are the types of presentations that are available. 

1. RAD (Rape Aggression Defense) specific presentation
  2. Workplace Violence
  3. Active Shooter
  4. Dealing with Disruptive People
  5. Crime Prevention

For more information and scheduling presentations please contact Garth Smith.

5. Saftety Escorts

If you are ever in class or working late and want someone to escort you to your car call 801-585-2677. They will send someone to walk you or drive you to where you need to be. This is a great option if you end up staying somewhere later than you thought you were going to and want to make it to your car with no stress.  

6. Get Pepper spray, mace or a whistle

Treat yo self. Go out and buy a few things to protect yourself. It will definitely be worth the money, trust me.

7. Travel in Groups

Stick wit your gurls! ALWAYS walk around with other people if it is late at night, if you are in a group it is way less likely for someone to attack you. 

Let’s face it. We don’t always feel safe on campus and this needs to change. College should be a place where you worry about doing well on a test or making sure you don’t gain the freshman 15, not being assaulted. Together we need to take the steps to make the U of U campus safe for ALL of it’s students. Take advantage of the resources available so you can start feeling safe again on campus.

Kim Davison is a recent graduate from the University of Utah that double majored in Theatre and Communications. She was the President of Her Campus Utah and a Chapter Advisor, a Campus Expansion Assistant and a Her Campus Ambassador Advisor for Her Campus Nationals. Kim loves theatre, event planning, dachshunds and strives to live her life every day to make Leslie Knope proud. She is currently searching to jobs in the media industry and is excited to see where life takes her!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor