How to Make the Most of Your Fall Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Fall Break is almost upon us, and as much fun as it would be to go to some exotic locale and post ten billion picture on your Instagram story, that’s probably not your plan. Fall Break has, in my experience, been more of a week where you say you’re going to catch up on homework and instead binge watch an entire television show. Now don’t get me wrong, that’s still a fun way to spend your break, but if you’re looking for a chance to get out of the house and do something you normally wouldn’t, there are so many options.

1. Drive the Alpine Loop

If you have access to a car and you haven’t driven the Alpine Loop yet, I highly recommend doing that before it closes at the end of October. The route, which takes about 45 minutes to drive, will take you through the Uinta National Forest and past the Wasatch Mountains. It’s located at the base of American Fork Canyon, so it takes a little bit of time to get to, but there’s no better time to experience it than when the aspens are turning their golden hues. Grab some coffee and pastries in the morning, then hit the road and experience the magic.

2. Day Trip to Park City

Want to drive through a canyon, but don’t feel like driving all the way to Utah County? A day trip to Park City via Guardsman’s Pass will offer another view of the mountains and changing fall colors, without quite as much travel time. This road, unlike the Alpine Loop, has a gravel portion in it, so be sure to be wary of any recent storms. Once you reach Park City, however, you’re free to explore. Walk along Historic Main Street for a variety of local stores, including my personal favorites, Dolly’s Bookshop and Java Cow Coffee & Ice Cream.

3. Go to a Museum

One of the best things about Fall Break is that the museums on-campus are less likely to be crowded. Both the Utah Natural History Museum and the Utah Museum of Fine Arts are great museums, and you get in free with your university ID. (Plus, dinosaurs are cool, y’all)

If you want to go to a museum off-campus and you’re willing to spend a little money, The Leonardo is another great option. For those of you that don’t want to break the bank, the Utah Museum of Contemporary Art is stunning and free for everyone, although they do have a $5 suggested donation.

4. Visit the City Library

I might just like libraries because I’m a nerd, but the city library is a beautiful space that you could easily spend hours in. It’s open 24 hours, so grab a coffee and some books and read to your heart’s content. (For those of you who are into true crime, listen to episode 113 of My Favorite Murder for an incredible story that takes place in the old City Library.)

5. Take a Hike!

It’s no secret that Utah is full of beautiful hikes, and before too late it’s going to be too snowy to access them. Besides, during the winter I think most of us would rather be skiing. Go on a hike, pack a picnic if you like, and enjoy the scenery while it lasts.

6. Binge Watch Something

Okay, this might not get you out of the house, but there’s no doubt that Fall Break is an excellent time to watch that TV show that you still haven’t seen. Sharp Objects is my personal pick, but whatever you’re feeling I’m sure Netflix, Hulu, and HBO have your back. Still haven’t seen Game of Thrones? You’ll be able to finish it just in time for the series finale next year.

Image sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Emily is studying English and Strategic Communications at the University of Utah, where she's also an editor for Her Campus. She cares a lot about feminism, period dramas, sunsets, cooking, and The X Files. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her work at her food blog pancakesandporridge.com
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor