This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Think you’re the only one who’s noticed that spring semester is feeling a lot like death semester? Think again! The single digit weather seems to be sucking the warmth and life out of everyone, especially University Utah students, but NO MORE!

Here are some tips to help you beat the chills the smart way!

Tip #1 If you do not own a good, thick jacket or coat now is the time to upgrade! You don’t have to look like a marshmallow wandering campus because there are plenty of fashionable coats that have warming lining such as wool and won’t break your budget. Head to nearby D.I., check out ads in your fave stores, and even hit up the online shopping scene. Experiment with colors from browns and deeps oranges to the classic black. Don’t be that person on campus waddling on campus with a light hoodie and capris!

Tip #2 It’s cheap, it’s effective, and it’s at Wal-Mart. Ladies, head down to the store and pick up some hand and feet warmers. I swear your body won’t object. The warmers are typically under a dollar and come in a pack of 4. Wear them before you head out to school or keep them in your backpack. They take up virtually no space but pack a whole lotta heat. Simply shake them then stick them in your gloves and/or shoes and enjoy!

Tip# 3 Layer, layer, LAYER! It is very easy to strip layers of clothing; coat, hoodie, sweater, shirt…..but quite difficult to be wearing only a t-shirt and hoodie and knit yourself more clothes in between classes. Even if you don’t like layering, pack a thing or two in your bag like an extra pair of socks or gloves.

Tip #4 Plan an escape route. Yes, as silly as it sounds, find ways to stay warm in between building destinations. Imagine you have a class in OSH and you just hopped off the South Campus station Trax; try going into the MBH first and warming up then make a clear cut to the OSH instead of walking in the cold the whole time. Know the buildings around your classes and see if something can work for you. Your frozen toes will thank you!