How to Host a Murder Mystery Dinner Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Costumes are the best part about Halloween! For a night (or every weekend in October) we get to dress up and be a different…anything! But who’s ready to go past the regular Halloween costume party, and into something way more exciting? We at Her Campus Utah are, and we’ve decided to share our knowledge with all of our bootiful readers!

A Murder Mystery dinner party, inspired by  Clue, brought to life.  Seriously, don’t underestimate how much fun these parties can be! We’re going to give you the 5 steps to hosting the best Halloween Murder Mystery dinner party this season! Prepare to become the girl who threw the most epic house party ever!

STEP 1: THEME

There are countless ideas for themes! My personal favorite, Speak-Easy 1920’s or Masquerade! A quick Google search will list one you’re sure to fall in love with. Go all out with the decorations! It’ll make your guests feel inclined to play the part. If everyone gets into the theme, your party will feel like real life! 

STEP 2: SCRIPT

For those of you who are completely oblivious, never fear. Planning a Murder Mystery is not easy; I know I couldn’t plan out the entire evening! Luckily, there are people who can. There are thousands of scripts to be found for all levels of party goers, here’s a couple links to get you started. Remember, you can alter the characters and plot to match your theme!

Murder Mystery Ideas and some more.

STEP 3: INVITATIONS

This dinner party does away with mass texts. You cannot invite your friends the night of. Your guests need time to find appropriate costumes and become familiar with the character they are supposed to play. At least a week notice is how classy hostesses invite the elite socialites to their fabulous parties! Imagine how special your guests will feel when they receive an invite in the mail or hand-delivered, it’s way cooler than a text you just sent to everyone. Check out these sites for some cute ideas!

STEP 4: DINNER

Let’s not forget the food; that would be blasphemous. What’s really cool about these murder mystery parties is that it imitates real life situations! Let your guests mingle and solve the murder over light finger foods and mixed drinks. Or plan out a five course meal, and at each segment of the meal reveal new clues! There are so many options. Plan your own or look for a script that includes food prep detailed.

STEP 5: JUST DO IT ALREADY.

Don’t be nervous! Acting the part is really not that hard. You’ll surprise yourself with how much fun you’ll have if you just get into it! Be brave, get out there and be the hostess with the mostess! 

English major. Avid Political Intern. Olivia Pope enthusiast. Designated "Mom" of the group. Wannabe yogi. Wine drinker.Living in and thoroughly enjoying Salt Lake City. Writing amusing and sarcastic material for the beautiful undergrads of THE U. (The original one here in Utah. Sorry not Sorry Miami.)
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor