How To Embrace Your Inner Todd Chavez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

After getting accidentally locked out of my dorm room during fall break, without my wallet OR keys, I realized that I was pretty dependent upon other people. I relied on my friends for shampoo, meal swipes, and car rides. Luckily, I had a pretty comfortable living space, in a sleeping bag on my friends’ floor, who were kind enough to let me crash in their room, and keep me company during this dark time.

One night, when I was curled up in my sleeping bag, when my At-The-Time roomie, Josh, suggested that we watch a quick episode of the HIT Netflix Original Series, Bojack Horseman. And so, we did. The show revolves around a character named Bojack Horseman, a washed up celebrity, who, in trying to redeem his own insecurities, ends up going through trials of misadventures in order to find himself.

One of the characters introduced in the first episode is Todd Chavez, a lackadaisical twenty-something who is crashing on Bojack’s couch. Bojack describes him as his house guest instead of roommate, and says to him that “You sleep on my couch and you don’t pay rent. I’ve had tapeworms that are less parasitic. I don’t even remember why I let you stay with me in the first place.” After hearing that statement, my other At-The-Time roomie, Roman, threw his head back and roared with laughter, “Dude! That’s TOTALLY Robin!”

One quick episode became a few quick episodes, which eventually became a marathon of the entire first season. And with each episode, we found traits that were eerily similar between Todd and me. A failed rock opera, terrible luck, and a cheery disposition, to name a few. Todd Chavez and Robin Young eventually became synonymous, and one of the most commonly used jokes in our friend group. At first, I was a little bit annoyed by it, but eventually I decided that I could totally dig being the Todd of my friend group. In fact, it turned out to be a pretty healthy lifestyle.

So here are some of my tips on Livin’ Like Larry, except it’s living like Todd, and it has nothing to do with lobsters or ripping your pants. (Sadly?)

1. Crash On a Couch!

A really quick way to create super close bonds is to live with people. And crashing on someone’s couch (as long as they’re okay with it), is totally chill! Find friends that can support you while you get on your feet. Preferably some with a comfy couch and/or sleeping bag!

2. Keep up a Positive Relationship with the People You Crash With!

Sometimes, your roommates can be grouchy. Be a pal and help them with their day! If you’re emotionally supportive, they might not notice the six bras you threw over their TV, or all of the other stuff you left around.

3. Wear COMFY Clothing!

Clothing is something that is very important in our society, because nudists are usually arrested when they go out in public. So wear stuff that you feel comfortable in, to make the not-nakedness better. Todd, for example, has a signature yellow beanie and red sweatshirt that make him feel good, but are also unique to him!

4. Go on Adventures!

Adventuring is a signature Todd maneuver, and it’s really great for the soul! Sometimes, you just need to go out and create memories. Adventure is out there! GO FIND IT.

5. Go With the Flow!

Sometimes, you don’t find the adventure, and the adventure finds you. So, in that case, relax and make the most of it! It may be stressful now, but it’ll be a great story later! But if you’re in a real pickle, ask people you trust for help!

6. Start up Improv!

Yes, AND speaking of going with the flow, learning how to improvise is super important! And by improv? I mean LITERAL improv–like acting. Seriously, take it from an Improv-class assistant, it’s a really neat art form, and you’ll make a lot of neat non-brain-washy friends. Even if it IS a cult.

7. Make Friends with Everything and Everyone!

One of my favorite things about Todd is how open he is to new people, and their points of view. He’s always willing to listen to strangers, and he’ll make friends with anyone who seems like they need it. He’s friends with his phone, with robbers, with washed up celebrities, and the inner-ring of guys who crash on celebrities’ couches! It’s a very admirable quality, and I think we could all be a little bit more like Todd.

8. Realize Nothing is Meaningful. BUT POPTARTS ARE COOL.

Personally, I prefer the brown sugar, maple kind! But other people may like more chocolatey or fruity flavors.

9. Keep an Up-to-date Silver Lining’s Playbook!

Keep it positive! There’s a silver lining to every situation, and it’s important to recognize that fact. It’s also important to help other people recognize their silver linings as well, because they’re going to need your unwitting optimism sometimes.

10. BE CREATIVE!

Do you have a dream that everyone always called you “crazy” for? Well, time to go try and achieve it! Get creative! Do you want to start up a cab company that supports feministic values? Do you want to make your own version of Disneyland? GO FOR IT. LIVE YOUR DREAMS.

11. Know it’s Okay to Fail…

Failure is just a part of life, and oftentimes, your failures will determine which paths aren’t meant for you. But don’t give up! Things will always look up, and you’re bound to not fail at something!

12. But Learn From Your Mistakes!

And own up to them. If you fail at your rock opera that you’ve been working on for years, understand that it didn’t work out because you spent all your time playing that new video game. As my mom always says, it’s okay to be a slow learner, just don’t be a non-learner!

13. Understand the Importance of Friendship!

Friends aren’t just the people that let you crash on their couch, they’re the people who’ll always have your back! So you should always have theirs too. You should also have different types of friends. For example, Bojack might be your friend who always yells at you and tells you that you’re worthless, but will get you out of any bind. At the same time, Princess Carolyn will help you find new ways to spend your time, and Mr. Peanutbutter will support any crazy new idea you have. Friendship is important, and Todd gets it.

14. Be Comfortable with Your Sexuality 

SPOILER ALERT: Todd identifies as an asexual person, and he is totally comfortable with it. Our sexualities are something we should respect and be proud of! Being yourself is the best thing that you can do, and other people will really respect you for it. So be comfortable with who you are romantically and sexually interested in, even if it’s no one at all. Love is love, after all!

15. Be Forgiving of People You Love!

A lot of times, people that we love will disappoint us. It’s important to remember that most of the time, they don’t mean to. So even if your best friend and confidant misses your Improv graduation show, you need to consider how important that friendship is. If it really means a lot to you, remember that forgiveness is key.

16. Stand Up for What You Believe In!

Todd fights against all odds to stand up for what he believes in time and time again. Whether it’s saving a chicken from a slaughterhouse, or the safety of his other friends, or even his own self esteem, Todd knows when something is worth fighting for. And that’s a really admirable quality.

Embracing your inner Todd Chavez is a very healthy thing to do. He can inspire you to be more loving, forgiving and courageous, and he can empower you to be the best you that you can be! So if you’re crashing on your friend’s sofa, or your spaghetti strainer idea went down the hatch, know that it isn’t over yet.

Keep on keepin’ on, you guys!

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor