free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How to Balance Work and School (Without Losing Your Mind)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Everyone knows college is expensive. Between housing, tuition, and those random student fees, it’s hard to balance your finances (and your sanity). Luckily for us, colleges and businesses love to hire college students- we’re young, cheap, and easily accessible. A study from Georgetown University shows that more than 70 percent of college students have worked while attending school. Not only does it look good to future employers, but it allows you to get out and meet new people. So if you need to get some extra cash for your bills or future nights out on the town, look no further! Balancing school and work can be hard, but it’s definitely possible. Read below for some helpful tips and then get out there and get that bread.

1. Be Realistic

If your goal is to get money for school, you still need to put your grades first. If you’re taking 18 credits and have multiple extracurriculars, a job is going to be rough (but still possible). Know yourself and your study habits. Do you need to study for hours on end in a quiet place or can you whip out your books on the go? If you have a job or other commitments battling for places in your schedule, you need to find a study time and place that will work for you and your schedule. This could mean waking up an hour earlier or going out less. Your education comes first, even though that includes cutting out some of the fun stuff.

2. Look For Your Best Option

Jobs and resumes are hard to fill out when you don’t have a lot of experience. This is true for most college students who, up until this point, have mostly been focusing on school and social activities. If you don’t have a lot of experience for your dream job, don’t worry! While you may not be able to land an internship in your first semester, you can still gain valuable experience- even if it’s in a “boring” customer service job. Look for on campus jobs or workplaces close to where you live- this will shorten your commute and help you save money. Apply to as many jobs as you can and keep your mind open.

3. Try For Internships

If your job isn’t related to your future career, an internship may help you decide what you want to do with you life- even if it’s not paid. If you are in the market for a paid internship, keep in mind that you may have to work for free before a company realizes your worth. Lots of schools have job fairs and internship opportunities- you just need to ask.

Balancing jobs and school can be hard but it’s totally possible! Just keep an organized plan and keep your mental health in mind, and you’ll have the success you always dreamed of. 

Photo Source: 1, 2, 3

U of U
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor