Life > Experiences

Hot, Steamy, And Delicious… 10 Desserts Needed For Fall!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

When we, collegiates, start unconsciously grabbing our boots, trench coats, and adorable (deer printed) scarfs, we start to realize that fall is upon us. As sadness sets from turning in our shorts and cute tanks; we ecstatically welcome those wonderful blankets that we collected (because you can’t  have just one), all your mugs that make references to tea or coffee–yes even the ones with the endearing characters on them, and the richest and most delicious desserts (no, we are not talking about Ryan Gosling, this time). It’s now the time to cuddle up on the couch with a blanket, a plate of spicy pumpkin cookies, a warm beverage, watching a classic fall favorite film.  Please enjoy and relish in these following desserts:

1. Cinnamon Devil’s Food Cake Cookies

Recipe By: G-Rated

Cookies that can be given out at parties or even just to have at home in your cute cookie jar your mom bought you?! Cookies that demand attention?! Well say it ain’t so! These cinnamon devil food cake cookies are sure to impress with their unpretentious recipe and delicious manor.

Ingredients

• 1 box of Devil’s Food Cake Mix
  • ½ c. Vegetable or Canola oil
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1-2 c. Chocolate Chips
  • 1 Tsp of Cinnamon

Instructions

1. Beat eggs and vegetable oil into a bowl.
  2. Then add in cake mix, cinnamon, and choclate chips until well combined.
  3. Let sit in fridge for 15 minutes.
  4. Set oven to 350F and place cookies on a nonstick pan. Bake for 9-12 mins.
  5. Then enjoy their spicy warmness!!

2. Pumpkin Spice Latte (Crockpot)

Recipe By: Thriving Home

Oh Me Oh My! The recipe that is sure to warm you up this fall, whether it be in the morning or evening. You can make this delicious beverage for everyone or just for yourself (half the recipe). There is no denying the steaming cup of a pumpkin spice latte as it travels around your home. 

Ingredients

• 6 cups of milk (I used whole)
  • 4-6 cups of strongly brewed coffee
  • 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup of vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
  • 3 cinnamon sticks.

Instructions

1. In your crock pot, combine the milk and coffee.
  2. Whip together the pumpkin, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon and pour into the crockpot.
  3. Mix together well.
  4. Toss in 3-4 cinnamon sticks.
  5. Cover the crockpot, and cook on high for 2 hours.

3. Cinnamon Caramel Cookie

Recipe By: Insidebrucrewlife

A cinnamon cookie that has caramel filling… why aren’t we funding this? With its superb taste and the best combination of Fall flavors, we are sure everyone will be lining up outside your door for one. Honestly, someone needs to start a business with these. Just look at it’s chewy goodness!

Ingredients

• 1 white cake mix
  • 1 egg
  • 8 Tablespoons butter, melted
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 24 Milky Way Simply Caramel Unwrapped Bites
  • 3-4 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar

Instructions

1. Beat together the cake mix, egg, and melted butter until a soft dough forms. Add the cream cheese and cinnamon and beat again until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Roll the dough into 24 even dough balls. Press each ball flat and place a Milky Way Caramel Bite in the center. Form the cookie dough around the candy bar and roll into a ball again. Roll the cookie dough ball in the cinnamon sugar and place on a baking sheet.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes before moving to a piece of parchment paper. Let cool completely. Store in a sealed container on the counter. Makes 24 cookies.

4. Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate

Recipe By: Baking With Blondie

Pu- Pump- Pump It Up! With pumpkin! It is time to add pumpkin to about everything and we are starting with hot chocolate. Add a little or add a lot but be sure to enjoy it’s spicy goodness this fall as you cozy up. For an even warmer feeling add your favorite alcoholic beverage such as Smirnoff Whip Cream or Kahlua.

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 C milk (I used skim)
  • 1/3 C hot cocoa mix
  • ¼ C canned pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie)
  • 1 ½ t pumpkin pie spice (next time I’ll use just teaspoon)
  • ½ t vanilla
  • Pinched of salt
  • *Homemade whipped cream 

Instructions:

1. In a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat, whisk together milk, hot cocoa mix, vanilla, and pinch of salt.2. Add pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.3. Heat thoroughly, whisking as the temperature rises. When desired temperature is reached, pour into 3 small mugs (or two large ones), top with whipped cream and marshmallows. Sprinkle a bit of pumpkin pie spice for a little extra love.

Homemade Whipped Cream

Ingredients
  • 1 C heavy cream
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1/4 C confectioner’s sugar
Instructions
1. Chill whisk attachment and bowl in freezer for about 5 minutes.2. In chilled bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form.3. Beat in vanilla and sugar until stiff peaks form. Don’t over-mix.

5. Aztec Hot Chocolate

Recipe By: SheKnows

Spicy? Sweet? Delicious? Check, check, and check. Although it is not some fine vessel of a man from an exotic place, this delicious sweet treat will be sure to warm you up and comfort you.

Ingredients

• 1 Cup Milk
  • 5oz Chopped dark chocolate
  • ¼ Tsp Cinnamon
  • Tiny pinch of Cayenne Pepper

Instructions

1. Combine milk and chocolate
  2. Wait until chocolate is melted then add cinnamon and cayenne pepper.
  3. Whisk together until well mixed and is the right temperature.
  4. Serve in your favorite mug with some whip cream!

6. Autumn Spiced Apple Tea

Recipe By: Mostly Homemade Mom

While drinking tea, one may feel a sense of dignity and properness at this classy and sophisticated choice of beverage. However, with this fall twist, all one needs is an oversized sweeter, large mug (or a fancy tea cup), a book, and a messy bun. This spiced tea is sure to leave you in a warm and gleeful mood this Fall.

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 tea bags
  • 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
  • 2 packets Pure Via sweetener
  • 4 apple slices

Instructions

• Bring water, cloves, and cinnamon sticks to a boil in a small saucepan.
  • Turn off heat, add tea bags, cover, and allow to steep for 3 minutes.
  • Remove tea bags and stir in apple juice and sweetener.
  • Turn the heat back on to low and simmer until heated through.
  • To serve, place two apple slices in the bottom of two mugs.
  • Pour hot tea over apples, being careful to strain out cloves and cinnamon sticks.
  • Serve with additional cinnamon sticks in the mugs if desired.

7. Pumpkin Mug Cake

Recipe By: TheGunnySack

The perfect mini dessert for one. This warm recipe will have you making “aww” sound effects as you jump up and down with happiness at this simple dessert you made. Take it home to the family and surprise them with what you learned while away from home! You don’t even need to tell them it is made in the microwave. Wonderful for the college girl who needs to be thrifty and simple as well as having a particular  sweet tooth for Fall.

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons cake mix (regular or sugar free)
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Instructions

1. Put 3 tablespoons of cake mix (regular or sugar free), 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree, ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice and 1 tablespoon water into a small greased, microwave safe bowl or mug. I used a small ramekin.
  2. Mix with a fork until mostly smooth.
  3. Microwave on high for 60 seconds.

8. Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls

Recipe By: Betty Crocker

When has Betty Crocker ever let us down? This yummy hot treat will not only make your apartment smell good but also give you a warm fuzzy feeling in your stomach. This classic dessert is perfect and easy for a fall evening or even morning!

Ingredients

• 1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ yellow cake mix
  • 2 1/2 to 3 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
  • Package (2 /4 teaspoons) regular active dry yeast
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 container Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy cream chees frosting

Instructions

1. 1 Grease 13×9-iinch) round cake pans with shortening or cooking spray.
  2. 2 In large bowl, mix cake mix, 1 cup of the flour and the yeast. Add water; stir with wooden spoon until dough forms. Add the remaining flour 1?4 cup at a time, stirring after each addition, until soft dough forms. You may not need all of the flour. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
  3. 3 Gently punch down dough, and then reshape it into a ball. Let rest for a few minutes. Meanwhile, have melted butter ready, and in small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon.
  4. 4 On lightly floured surface, roll dough into large rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Starting with 1 long end, tightly roll up dough into a log. Cut into 12 rolls.
  5. 5 Place rolls in pan(s); cover with plastic wrap. Let rise about 30 minutes while you heat oven to 375°F.
  6. 6 Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; spread with frosting. Serve warm or at room temperature.

9. Carmel Popcorn

Recipe By: Simply Kierste

A fun carnival themed treat! Perfect for  movie night or even a small gift to give your friends and loved one. Carmel popcorn will make anyone happy with its buttery sweetness! Plus, it’s totally worth the calories.

Ingredients

• 1 c. brown sugar
  • ¾ c. granulated sugar
  • ½ c. butter
  • 1-14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1½ c. corn syrup
  • 16 c. pooped popcorn

Instructions

1. Combine all ingredients (except popcorn) in large, heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, making sure to STIR constantly. If not, it will burn, so keep stirring!
  2. Keep stirring as it boils until it reaches the soft ball stage, 234 degrees on your candy thermometer.
  3. Remove from heat, and immediately pour over the popcorn. Stir until coated. Let cool, then enjoy!!!

10. Candy Corn Milkshake

Recipe By: Kara’s Party Ideas

This last one is neither warm nor spicy, however, it is delicious and in the theme of Fall. Additionally, who could pass up a good milkshake? This is for the individuals who want to stay home instead of trying to find a child relative to take trick-or-treating because, deep down, you want to go even though your way past the age limit. But no worries this candy corn milkshake can fulfill that Halloween childlike glee in all of us!

Ingredients:

• 1 Quart Vanilla Ice Cream
  • 1 Quart Orange Sherbet
  • Whipped Cream or Cool Whip
  • Yellow Food Coloring
  • Black, Yellow, & Orange

Instructions

1. Let your vanilla ice cream soften for about 25 minutes outside of the freezer. After the ice cream is softened take 1/3 of the ice cream and put it into a bowl and put the quart of vanilla ice cream back in the freezer.
  2.  Add yellow food coloring to the ice cream in the bowl until the desired shade is obtained. Mix well.
  3. Take your orange sherbet out of the freezer to allow it to start softening.
  4. Get your mason jars, clear plastic cups, or glass drinking glasses and spoon yellow ice cream into the bottoms, filling the cups about 1/3 full. Smooth out the top as evenly as you can. Wipe down the inside of the cups with a paper towel to remove ice cream streaks. Place your cups in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to let the yellow layer harden a little.
  5. Take your vanilla ice cream out of the freezer again to allow it to start softening.
  6. Remove the cups from the freezer and carefully spoon in the orange sherbet now, filling the cups about 2/3 full, and again, smoothing out the top. Wipe the excess on the inside of the cups with a paper towel. Place the cups back in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
  7. Remove the cups from the freezer and add the final layer of vanilla ice cream, filling the cups within 1/2 inch from the top of the cup. Smooth out the tops again.
  8. Top off your desserts with whipped cream or cool whip and sprinkles. Place in the freezer until they are ready to be served.

Furthermore fellow collegiates, as Fall grows near please remember that one must always take time for oneself. Sit down and enjoy simple delights in life such as these recipes, if even for a few moments. Do not get to caught up in the busy life and forget to look at the beautiful changes around this season because there will be many.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor