Her Campus Utah Keeps Their Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As we approach the end of January, many individuals review and reconsider the resolutions they made at the beginning of the month. Maybe you’ve fallen into a routine, or maybe you have struggled to keep up with lofty goals. By the numbers, most people tend to abandon their resolutions by the third week in January. Setting goals that are difficult to quantify, resolutions that are too broad, or moving forward without intentionality can all contribute to the failure to accomplish new year’s resolutions. 

Yet, despite the pessimism that typically surrounds these resolutions, I still love the idea behind making goals to be the best version of yourself. I think that any effort to take care of yourself and to create healthy habits is incredibly powerful. While it’s true that these decisions can be made at any point in the year, the turning of the new year (and new decade if you fall into the camp that the ‘20s begin in 2020, as I do) offers a special chance to start off a new month, school semester, or year on a better foot. 

Choosing what resolutions to make often requires immense personal reflection. Deciding what area of your life you’d like to change offers an insight into who you want to be and how you view society. Personally, in 2020, I am trying to make an effort to reduce my dependence on plastic products. By researching different companies and making small changes to my everyday habits, I hope to break the cycle of using single-use plastics. But despite my resolve to try and do my part for the climate, I have not been able to fully make the switch yet. I have forgotten to bring reusable cups with me to coffee shops—which has led to me regretfully asking for plastic cups and straws. In the grand scheme of things, however, I remind myself that doing whatever I can to help the planet can make a small difference, but we can’t all be perfect.

Here at Her Campus Utah, many of our writers set forth resolutions to try and be their best selves in 2020. Our resolutions ranged from reading more books, working out more, and practicing mindfulness to saving money, finding a skincare routine, and eating more healthy foods. 

Carmina Gray, a writer for Her Campus Utah, said that she resolved to “get my homework done the day it’s assigned, if possible” and she wants to “get started on bigger projects right away instead of panicking at the deadline.” For Gray, keeping this resolution has been successful: “My resolution has been going well, so far. But I also haven’t had much homework yet, and work isn’t busy right now. I hope I can keep my resolution even when things get rough!” As she decided to make this resolution, she realized, “I’ve really struggled with procrastination. I leave huge projects to the night before and then stress about it. I wanted to change that. Also, I read that you are more likely to retain information you’ve learned if you study immediately after class. So I hope this resolution will help with my memory.” As Gray aims to stay on top of her homework, her plan to work on assignments immediately after class will hopefully create an intentional plan to combat any procrastination. According to the American Psychological Association, about 80-95% of college students procrastinate, but with clear goals and a plan to stay on top of assignments, Gray should be able to continue to maintain her resolution.

Up next, Britt Brooks, Her Campus Utah’s Director of Media Relations, made a resolution to meditate more. Currently, Brooks has had a lot of success during the month of January: “Almost every night I try to make time (even just one or two minutes) to sit with some of my crystals and stones and take a moment to myself.” When Brooks was making this resolution, she noted, “I already casually meditated but never set a goal for it. Having more of a solid goal has helped me to be more consistent.” With the specific goal of meditating every day, yet giving herself a more flexible time frame, Brooks has been able to set herself up for success with meditation.

Finally, Avery Conner, one of Her Campus Utah’s editors, has resolved to read more books throughout the semester—outside of her classes. For Conner, she realized, “I really do enjoy reading, and I miss it a lot. I didn’t have much free time last fall, and my stress levels indicated that was not an ideal situation. By making reading my resolution, I’m hoping to both bring books back into my life and reduce my stress at the same time!” While she’s still working on implementing this resolution in her everyday life, Conner explained, “I’m going to try to ‘schedule’ some time in for reading. Now that I know how long it will take me to complete my various tasks, I’m planning on rearranging my time to actually fit in some reading.” With the craziness of the school semester, it is important to readjust your goals so that you still have time to lead a balanced life. 

So far, our team has been surprisingly successful with their new year’s resolutions, and I can’t wait to see what the rest of 2020 will bring for Her Campus Utah!

Photo Credit: 1, 2

Senior at the University of Utah studying English, Spanish, and Philosophy Passionate about art, grammar, and ethics
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor