timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Hawaiian Adventures in the North Shore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The North Shore is incredible. I did not drive into a dark raining tundra like I expected, but vines and deep green trees, tall rocky mountains, blue beaches with fierce waves. Along with the large waves came attractive surfers. I could watch them for hours, which I did!

The road that took me to the end of Kauai is narrow, winds though trees, and passes through astonishing beaches. It was difficult to pull over because I couldn’t help but keep driving down this windy road. Although, what you can expect about living on an island is the land will eventually end. Once it does, the blue ocean is endless. It felt like I was standing at the end of the world. As I was standing there I thought, “Someone was standing here thousands of years ago and could have possibly been questioning if they were too at the end of the world.”

As I was driving I realized I am living “the dream” or I’ve accomplished “life goals.” I was not following a tour guide or GPS system. I had no one to tend to or nowhere else to be but in that moment! This sense of freedom suddenly felt addicting.

I’m going to share one of the most valuable keys to an adventure, and that is to be open to meeting new people. Each interaction with someone we didn’t know before unexpectedly shows us an experience, or teaches us new knowledge that can open up a new world. I love finding a new place and meeting someone that will lead me to the next place I discover. For example, I had no idea what the first beach I went to was called, so I walked up to the life guard and asked a simple question, “Where am I?”, for a second he probably was concerned I hit my head surfing but it opened up the conversation that I was freely exploring without a GPS. I learned I was at Tunnels Beach, where the Bethany Hansen shark attack took place. He also told me his favorite place to eat, Sushi Girl.

It’s a walk up counter off the side of a small road that I could have easily missed. Now, I know where to get the best fresh fish sushi burritos.  Which is amazing because I miss Sushi Burrito in Salt Lake City very much!  I continued to drive back south making a few stops to private beaches I found on the way. I kept driving until I ended up in bumper-to-bumper traffic. One road when everyone is trying to go home doesn’t work out that well.

Xoxo

Krissi 

Born and raised in Salt Lake City, Krissi attends the University of Utah studying to become a journalist. When she is not doing school work, she is a part time makeup artist, full time animal lover and spends any moment she can outside. (She especially loves outdoor malls.) She quotes: "Writing is one of the most beautiful ways to express ourselves and I could not be more thrilled to be apart of Her Campus!"
Vermont native. Salt Lake City resident. Ellie Briggs is currently majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations at the University of Utah. She is serving as the Campus Correspondent, Co-President, and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Utah, along with Mietra Aarabi. When Ellie is not focusing on her studies, writing, or editing countless articles, you can find her brunching with her sister and laughing at her own jokes. Follow her on Instagram @elliebriggs and Twitter @ellbriggs - she promises you won't get bored!